TWENTY-NINE (EDITED)

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: Work to Be Done

A DAY HAD GONE BY SINCE THE REOPENING OF THE GARRISON, SINCE TABITHA AND THOMAS DECIDED TO HAVE A CHILD.

The new alliance with Alfie Solomons was in affect, as well getting instructions by Winston Churchill and Inspector Campbell. They began looking for a man or two to go into jail for illegal gambling so their copper could meet a quota for convictions.

Tabitha had been glowing since the night her and Thomas decided to have a child in the kitchen. Thomas was happy as well, laying in bed that night rubbing his wife's belly, knowing their child would be growing in it. They were gonna wait until things dialed down in Small Heath to tell the family about trying to have a child with everything going on with the company.

Thomas went to the Garrison with his brothers that morning interview men to help the coppers with the convictions. Tabitha went along with them, since she was a part of the company and was in the same boat as Thomas with Inspector Campbell. Both of them, with Arthur and John, sat in the new private snug, interviewing several people, who walked in and out, all of them mainly criminals. Some of them looked at Tabitha the wrong way, like she was a piece of meat. Thomas noticed and immediately made them leave and threatened to rip their eyes out.

Then a young man came into the snug with short brown hair and matching eyes, looking like a mommas boy.

"Alright then, name?" Tabitha asked.

"Digbeth kid," the young man answered.

"The Dig...what are you? A boxer?" Arthur asked amused, looking up from his newspaper.

"Digbeth Kid like Billy the Kid."

"Spend a lot of time at the pictures, eh?" Thomas asked, a lot cigarette between his fingers. "Cowboy pictures? Tom Mix? Yeah?"

The young man nodded and then reached into his coat, revealing him grabbing a gun from his holster. It made Arthur and and John immediately pull out their guns as Thomas made sure Tabitha was out of the way.

"Wait, wait. It's not a real gun," Digbeth Kid said.

"Let's have a look then, eh," Thomas said getting up.

"It's made of wood."

Thomas grabbed the gun from the man's holster and analyzed it, chuckling. He held it up and him and his brother were making gun noises like they were children. It made Tabitha giggle, and Thomas smiled at the sound with his cigarette hanging from his lips.