TWENTY-SEVEN (EDITED)

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: Shutting the Door

IT TOOK ANOTHER FOUR DAYS TO GET BACK TO BIRMINGHAM, BUT THEY WENT BY QUICKLY.

Curly and Thomas taught Tabitha how to drive the boat, which was interesting indeed. She finally got the hang of it and drove most of the way the third day back. Other than that, she was either on the deck helping out with dinner or in the lower deck with Thomas.

They made it back to Small Heath the day before Polly's birthday and the night of the Garrison's reopening. For Polly's present, Thomas bought her a lavish after buying and her son Karl one. The reason behind buying Polly's house was touching, and it made both Polly and Tabitha cry happy tears. Thomas bought the house because he planned on being Polly's son and daughter home to live with her there. Tabitha was proud of Thomas, knowing underneath that cold exterior, he loved his family and his wife.

Tabitha helped Thomas with the search for Polly's children the next couple days until they found them. Polly's son was in the country under the name Henry Johnson with adoptive parents. Her daughter, well...

When Tabitha and Thomas found out where Polly's son was living, they went out into the country, just the two of them. They made a day of it before going too the Johnson residence. Thomas had packed a picnic for lunch, and him and Tabitha laid on a blanket in a heads field alone together. After that, they packed up and drove to the Johnson residence with Thomas' right hand resting Tabitha's thigh.

"That was a lovely picnic," Tabitha smiled. "It's nice to be out in the country once in awhile, away from the family and the business. Just the two of us."

"And able to get full privacy," Thomas said smirking. "Would've been nice to let me finish what we started in that field."

"I was not going having sex in a field, Tommy. Besides, we have a job to do."

"Why not? Remember the night in Charlie's stable where we decided to roleplay an innocent stable boy and a posh girl?"

Tabitha laughed aloud, remembering that night well. "That was an experiment Esme challenged me to do."

"Well, that experiment was a great success." Thomas continued smirking, enjoying the blush on his wife's cheeks. "You have a piece of grass in your hair, by the way."

Tabitha pulled a piece of a lily flower out of her hair, chuckling from her and Thomas rolling around in the grass. They continued their stroll after she playfully nudged his shoulder.

"I think it's really sweet what you're doing this for Polly," Tabitha said. "Finding her kids and bringing them back home to make her happy. I didn't even have to tell you to do it."

"It's the right thing to do. Even though we can't bring Anna home, we can still do it for Michael," Thomas said, stomping his cigarette out.

Thomas took his hand off Tabitha's thigh as a pair of fences on each side of them, putting the car in park. They got out of the car and casually approached a house where two boys were playing ball with an older woman ushering them inside for lunch. The woman saw Thomas and Tabitha approached, backs straight with stoic expressions.