THIRTY-THREE (EDITED)

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE: Family in Distress

MICHAEL AND ARTHUR WERE ARRESTED DAYS AFTER THOMAS AND TABITHA VISITED MAY CARLETON'S ESTATE.

Arthur was arrested in Camden Town for the murder of Billy Kitchen, which was set up by Alfie Solomons and Sabini after Alfie turned on them. Michael was arrested for helping burn down the Marquis while Tabitha and Thomas were away.

Thomas and Tabitha didn't find out yet until there was a phone call after Thomas went to check on him and Tabitha's filly. Tabitha didn't feel well that day and decided to stay in Birmingham, but Thomas said she could fill in for him at the office until he came back. She spent most of the day talking to Lizzie, both asking if they knew where Michael was.

Thomas was the first to find out, but immediately phoned Tabitha the news and told her to stay hidden at the office with Lizzie until he got there. Then he went to meet with Inspector Campbell at the church, who went back on his word to protect Thomas' family.

Lizzie waited with Tabitha until Thomas got there since Tabitha was the only carrying a weapon to defend them both. Tabitha sat behind Thomas' desk with Lizzie standing beside, her gun on the table within her reach to kill anyone who entered. Her eyes were on a small flower Thomas placed in her hair that morning, faintly smiling while praying to God to protect him.

"I never seen any man look at a woman like Tommy looks at you," Lizzie spoke, gaining Tabitha's attention.

"How so?"

"He looks at you like every woman wants to be looked it, like the only one in the world," the secretary answered, a frown on her lips. "Not a lot of women are that look these days."

"Maybe you will one day find a man who will, Lizzie."

Tabitha placed her hand over Lizzie's, showing comfort for the retired prostitute. Both of them smiled at each other, knowing they had just made a new friendship. Art first, Tabitha thought Lizzie wanted to stay her husband, but learned that's not what she wanted. In the end, they started to understand each other, and Tabitha made another female friend after Grace's betrayal.

The phone rang beside Tabitha, making her and Lizzie both jump because they didn't expect it. Tabitha quickly picked up, not knowing if it was Thomas or not.

"Thomas Shelby's office," Tabitha said clearly.

"Tabitha...it's me."

Tabitha knew that female Irish voice well, and her eyes widened in surprise. How did she get Thomas' office number?

"Grace?" Tabitha asked. "H-how did you get this number?"

"I looked it up on the phone book," Grace answered, still surprised by the sound of Tabitha's voice. How she missed it.