TWENTY-SIX (EDITED)

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: Visiting Old Friends

CHARLIE STRONG AND CURLY WERE AT THE STABLES THAT NIGHT, TAKING CARE OF THE HORSES.

That's when they heard the gates to the stables begin to rattle on the other side. Someone was trying to get inside.

"Curly, you left the gate open?" Charlie questioned.

"No, I locked it," Curly shook his head. "I pinched it myself when I did it."

"Get that stuff under cover."

Charlie pulled out his revolver as Curly did as he was told. Two shadowy figures walked through the gate, two of them wore peaky hats, but one of them was a little hunched over with his hand on his chest. The other shape was holding onto him as if making sure the other one didn't fall.

"Hey! Who goes there?" Charlie asked as they got closer.

Through the smoke came Tabitha and Thomas, making Charlie lower his weapon.

"Tabitha? Tommy?"

"Get that oil you out on their legs when they go lame," Thomas said to Curly as Tabitha continued to help him walk
"Are you fucking mad, Doyle?" Charlie asked

"The yellow stuff, go on."

Curly did as Thomas said, and Charlie pulled up a chair for him. Tabitha helped him suit down.

"They said you'd be in for another three weeks," Charlie said.

"We need to get a boat to London," Tabitha said. "Tonight."

"You discharged him, Tabby?"

"I'm a fucking sitting duck in there, Charlie. I asked her too," Thomas replied. "Sabini could send a man any time. I need to get things done."

"My God, Tommy, you're burning up," Tabitha said faintly, feeling his forehead.

"Tommy," Curly said, handing over a bottle.

"Oh, Tommy, that stuff's for rubbing into fucking horses," 'Charlie said.

Thomas scoffed, "I am a horse."

"If you were a horse, they'd shoot you with this many broken bones," Tabitha replied, sitting down beside Thomas in a chair Charlie got for her.

"Get the black powder, Curly," Thomas said. "Go. The black powder."

"You pay for a bloody hospital and you're using witchcraft?" Charlie questioned.

"I need to sleep in the open air and feel the boat under me, Charlie."

"You must be crazy as hell if you think I'm letting you go alone," Tabitha said.

"Tab-"

"You're not going there by yourself, Tommy. You can barely walk, and you need a doctor. I'm going with you, end of the fucking discussion."