TWELVE (EDITED)

CHAPTER TWELVE: The Lees Attack

THOMAS SPENT THE WHOLE WEEKEND SLEEPING ON THE COUCH, LEAVING TABITHA SLEEPING IN THEIR BED ALONE.

She was missed from Thomas' actions at Cheltenham, offering her best friend Grace up to Billy Kimber like she was a prostitute. Luckily, it didn't damage her and Grace's friendship, but Grace highly disliked Thomas after the events of Cheltenham.

Things between Thomas and Tabitha were on thin ice, even though he tried to butter her up a couple times since then. She didn't budge, mainly telling him to fuck off until he properly apologized to her and Grace for sending the barmaid into the belly of the beast. Thomas wasn't a man who apologized often, due to his stubbornness and thinking he never needed to, but then he pissed Tabitha off. Pissed off Tabitha made Thomas miserable because he didn't like her pissed off at him, he rather wanted her smiling. How he loved her smile.

Ada was in London with Freddie as her belly began showing, and Tabitha was happy for them. Tabitha was still waiting for Thomas' apology, still making him sleep on the couch. When John and Arthur learned of the new sleeping conditions, they laughed at their brother being bosses around by the Romani woman.

Tabitha was in the Garrison in the afternoon days after Cheltenham. She was leaning against the bar, talking to Grace as she drank a glass of whiskey. Grace was cleaning out dirty glasses with a clean white cloth.

"So Thomas still hasn't apologized to you?" Grace asked.

"Still making him sleep on the couch," Tabitha answered, making the barmaid chuckle. "When he apologizes to the both of us, he won't have to."

"Oi, Tabby!" John called, entering the Garrison. He pointed at the private snug. "In 'ere."

Tabitha followed John in the private snug, sitting by him but keeping her distance, then John spoke.

"It's been hard, raising four kids," John said.

"I can't imagine," Tabitha chuckled. "You know I'm glad to help watch the kids anytime you need me to, John."

"You're too good to be around the likes of us, Tabby. Too good for Tommy."

As Tabitha was about to respond, the rest of the Shelby family came into the private. Tabitha and Thomas met eyes, both giving each other their stoic expressions. Her calmness after being so upset was scarier than how she looked when she was pissed off.

"Alright, John. There's only one man guarding the house. What's troubling ya?" Thomas questioned his younger brother.

"Well, you know Polly, Tabitha, how hard it's been on me since Martha died," John said.