TWENTY-THREE (EDITED)

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: Disaster Strikes

SOMETHING BAD HAPPENED WHILE THOMAS AND TABITHA WERE AWAY AT PENELOPE AND ELIJAH'S WEDDING.

Thomas' felt right about something bad happening while him and his wife were away. He woke up and felt like something was wrong, like the time he first watched Grace's eyes on Tabitha's. Just like that, he was right, but didn't want Tabitha to feel bad for pulling him away when an unexpected tragedy struck.

It had happened right as Penelope and Elijah had their first kiss as husband and wife, as everyone clapped and cheered. Thomas and Tabitha were smiling until his stomach dropped, knowing something was wrong. Arthur got on a horse and rode it all the way to the Hearn Family village to give them the news. Tabitha covered her mouth from the news while Thomas was speechless, in disbelief.

Freddie Thorne was infected with the Spanish Influenza those last couple days, and he didn't make it. He died, leaving behind a sad wife Ada and their son Karl. Tabitha wasn't able to understand how her sister in-law was feeling. Ada lost her husband, and Karl lost his father.

Freddie wasn't a fan of Thomas or most of the Peaky Blinders, but he liked Tabitha due to her kindness and innocence away from the family she was married into. He knew that out of everyone, that the gypsy woman would've made a good man out of Thomas. Everyone loved Tabitha, she just had a vibe around her that made them smile. Freddie and Tabitha even considered themselves friends after the times Tabitha came to London to visit him, Ada, and little Karl.

Thomas planned most of Freddie's funeral, gathering the family and Freddie's commie friends. There were several cars and chauffeurs since the Peaky Blinders were earning a lot more money than they did before. Thomas got Freddie one of the most beautiful caskets and a good tombstone, as well as a good place to be buried. Tabitha attended the funeral, standing right at Thomas' side, wearing a peaky cap he got her a couple months after she killed Kimber.

Freddie's funeral took place on a dark and gloomy afternoon, and everyone dressed in black. A grieving widow, Ada wore a black, birdcage veil, while her son was dressed in a nice suit. Thomas was about to say a couple of words of Freddie's grave, a promise Thomas made if he passed first.

"I promised my friend Freddie Thorne, that I'd say a few words over his grave if so he should pass before me. I made this promise before he became me brother in-law. When we were fighting for the king," Thomas started, allowing Tabitha to wrap her arm around his.

"Amen," Arthur said.

"And in the end it wasn't was that took Freddie. Pestilence took him. But Freddie passed on his soul and spirit to a new generation before he was cruelly taken."

It was all Thomas wanted to say, but he wasn't the only one who promised Freddie to speak at his funeral. There was another he wanted to speak, as well as sing. When Thomas finished, he looked down at Tabitha, who last go of of his arm and stepped up.