TWENTY-FOUR (EDITED)

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: Some Nights

THOMAS LEFT FOR THE BLACK LION, AN IRISH PUB A COUPLE MINUTES AWAY FRONT THE GARRISON, SINCE IT WAS CLOSEST.

Tabitha went back to the Shelby with Polly as she told the young gypsy to dry her tears. Who could've done that to the Garrison? Everyone wanted to know who was truly behind it, especially Tabitha. She may have loved the Garrison even more than Thomas. It was where she met Harry, where she met Grace.

There were nights when she missed her Irish friend, who wanted to be so much more than that. Tabitha didn't regret not leaving with her, because in her heart, she always knew that Thomas was the person she loved most. Her heart belonged to them, and only them.

The family were gathered in the betting shop that night, waiting for Thomas to come back home from the Black Lion. Tabitha was growing worried, but tried to collect herself, sitting at the table. Polly was leaning on the other side as the room was silent. Esme was sitting on the staircase while John walked to Polly at the doorframe. Teen Finn was pacing back and forth calmly in patience while Arthur was sitting and checking his hand.

"Sit down, Finn," Arthur said.

The youngest Shelby then sat down at the table, Tabitha watching as she fiddled her fingers anxiously.

"Where the bloody hell is Tomm-"

"He's on his way," Polly cut John off.

"All right then, while we're waiting patiently..." Arthur started, getting up. He picked up a crate full of whiskey and placed it on the table. "Whiskey. Left over from the explosion. Tabby."

Tabitha nodded, and walked over as everyone poured themselves a glass of whiskey. Arthur handed her a filled glass and she gave a nod thank you before going back to the door frame.

"Right. Before Tommy gets here, I think there's a few things we need to get straight between the rest of us," John said.

"You think?" Polly questioned.

"Yeah, I do. I want to know...when did we all take a vote on this expansion south?"

Tabitha turned her head towards the conversation as Polly stepped forward.

"You have anything to say, you wait for Tommy," Tabitha said, not liking the look Polly was giving John.

"Tabby's fucking right," Arthur agreed.

"I see all the books. Legal and off track," John replied. "So stuff you don't see. And in the past years, the Shelby Company Limited has been making a hundred and fifty pounds a day. Right? A fucking day! Sometimes more," he started. "So what I want to know is why are we changing things?"

Then John looked between his aunt and sister in-law , who both said nothing.

"Polly, Tabitha, look what's happened already. Haven't even set foot and London already, they've already blown up that fucking pub."