SEVENTEEN (EDITED)

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: Now You've Seen Me

Authors Note: Some of y'all have asked When something's gonna happen....

THE GARRISON WAS CLOSED AT THE END OF THE NEXT NIGHT, BUT TABITHA STAYED TO FINISH UP HER WORK FOR THE DAY.

Grace was quiet that night, barely speaking to Tabitha and looked like something was bothering her. She simply shrugged her shoulders and downed another glass of whiskey, and Grace sat down a glass of water to sober Tabitha enough to walk home alone. Tabitha hummed a soft tune, giving Grace a nod as a thank you for the water.

"You've been working hard the last couple of days," Grace stated, pouring herself a glass of water. "You should have your husband let you take a break."

"It isn't Tommy that's making me work day and night, it's me," Tabitha replied, writing in her notebook. "This is my first ever job and I'm not going to slack off."

"You didn't have a job back home?" The barmaid asked, coming out from the bar and leaning on it beside Tabitha.

"Normally I was down at the stables, tending to the horses. Mother of father never allowed me or my siblings near the family business for our protection."

"Until Thomas forced you nd your father into making you marry him?"

It was obvious to Tabitha that Grace and Thomas didn't get along well at all. Every time they saw each other, both gave glared and fought over Tabitha's attention. At first, Tabitha didn't care, but after awhile, it was starting to grow annoying.

"Okay, I get that you don't like Tommy because of what happened at Cheltenham, but I want to make something clear," Tabitha said politely to her best friend, looking at the blonde. "Thomas didn't force me into our marriage, I chose to protect my family. Sometimes people have to make sacrifices for the ones they love, Grace."

"I understand that, Tabs...but you're too good for a man like Tommy," Grace replied. "You deserve someone so much better than him."

"Tommy isn't perfect, no one is. The war fucked him up, but he's never been unkind to me and clearly cares for my well-being. Who do you think is much better than him in these parts?"

Grace stayed silent, looking into Tabitha's eyes. Being unresponsive made Tabitha raise a brow, wondering why she was.

"Grace, who do you think is much better than Tommy?"

Tabitha didn't have to process what happened next, not understanding any of it. Grace crashed her lips on Tabitha's for her answer. The answer was Grace, she believed she was better for Tabitha than Thomas. The gypsy then realized that Grace was kissing her, a shock yo her system. Tabitha's eyes widened as she sat there, never kissing back. It wasn't right, none of what was going was right. She was a married woman who fell in love with her husband after the fact.