THIRTY-ONE (EDITED)

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE: Tabitha's Locket

THOMAS SAT IN HIS OFFICE A COUPLE MORNINGS LATER, STRESSED EVER SINCE THE DAY AT THE AUCTION.

He had men watching from afar everything his wife was doing when he wasn't around her, making sure she was protected in case Sabini's men came around. Tabitha's safety was his top priority after the incident at the auction, and so was the safety of their possible child, more important than anything in his life.

He barely slept as much as it worried Tabitha that she made him rest after all-nighters. Most of those nights, she even stayed up and helped him finish his work until the break of dawn. Those nights, they fell asleep on the floor of his office, with some small pillows and throw blankets. When Tabitha was asleep, Thomas would look down at her and smile. She was his person, his soulmate, the one who pulled him out of the tunnels and stopped the sound of shovels. Tabitha was his queen, and God help those who disrespected the queen.

Earlier that morning, Thomas went to the funeral of Harold Hancox, the Digbeth Kid, who died in jail by some men Sabini sent. After that, Thomas met with Inspector Campbell, and the two people from the Black Lion, the ones who threatened the life of his queen and their princess. They were working with Campbell, and have Thomas a job to kill a man, one who served in the war. at first Thomas refused to work with those who threatened Tabitha, but then took the file of information from Campbell after he exited the room.

Thomas sat at his desk after the meeting, looking at the file, seeing the man's was information. His head was in his hands while his lit cigarette rested on the crystal ashtray. He rubbed his temples when Lizzie knocked on his door and slowly opened it.

"Your wife is here to see you, Mr Shelby," Lizzie said, poking her head in.

"Send her in," Thomas answered, not looking up from the file.

Tabitha slowly entered the room and Lizzie closed the door as Thomas stood up from his desk. He couldn't but faintly smile at the sight of her, noticing the beautiful light blue blouse and matching pleaded skirt she wore.

"I brought some sandwiches, thought we could have lunch together," Tabitha said, approaching his desk with a basket in her hand.

"Yeah, sounds good," Thomas said.

Tabitha sat the basket down in a chair and looked down at her husband with worry in her eyes.

"How did the Harold's funeral go? The meeting with Campbell?" Tabitha asked.

"Well, his sister continuously hit me several times, but I don't blame her for it. Handed his acting mother some money. As for Campbell...he's given new instructions."

"Is this it?" She asked looking down at the file. "Is this who they want dead now?"

"It's already been taking care of."