Chapter Three

Ashley's POV

Stepping out with Alex in tow, I locked the door with the spare key Aunt Marie gave me. Since I didn't own a car we decided to take the public bus.

Twenty minutes later we alighted the bus to trek the remaining distance which is less than five minutes away.

"Ashley, I know we're low on cash but can I get some money I need it for a project in school?", Alex asked from beside me as we turned a corner.

"Uh....sure, when do you need it." I asked knowing I'd have to take out of the money I saved for getting a laptop. I needed a laptop for my online classes and I know Alex needed it for school as well. guess I'd have to take on extra hours at work.

"Tuesday!, it's a group project and my teammates decided to go material shopping on Tuesday." he answered as we entered the cafe.

"Okay then, I'll give it to you on Tuesday morning "I replied as we made our way to the register where Rosa was attending to a customer.

"Ash, are you sure I can't get a job even if it's just on weekends?" Alex asked taking a seat on one of the bar stools by the register.

"Alex we already discussed this and I said No, I want you to focus on your studies so you can go to college." I said leaving no room for argument.

I knew Alex only wanted to help- knowing our financial situation and all. But I also knew he wanted to attend college and since I couldn't I'll make sure Alex does. I rather worry about our problems alone than allow him loose focus in school.

"Hey Ash and Hello to you Cutie" Rosa greeted once she was done with the customer.

"Hey Rosa, what's up?" I answered back.

"Hello Rosa" Alex replied as well.

"work, work and work, nothing new here "she answered with a long sigh"So do you guys want anything ?" Rosa asked going to the kitchen at the back.

"I'll have a milkshake and cupcake" Alex replied getting up to follow her into the kitchen.

"I'll just go say hi to Sam" I stated moving pass the kitchen to the manager's office.

I knocked twice on the pink coloured door before hearing an approval to come in.

"Hey Sam", I greeted before moving to take a seat on the yellow leather couch by the wall.

"Ash, what's up", Sam greeted looking up from the pile of papers in her hands.

Samantha Smith is the owner of the Café. She started running it 3 years ago after her father's death. The building was initially a store for car spare parts but since she knew nothing about selling spare parts, she decided to turn it into a café with the help of her Mom.

Sam's parents were separated, she stayed with her mom for most of her life and moved here after her mom got remarried although they still keep in touch.

"Nothing new, just the same old Ashley" I said looking through the Cook book on the couch.

"Well, I've got something for you" she said getting up from her seat to come join me on the couch.

"Really.......,what??", I replied wondering what she meant.

"There's an opening for a job here" she said smiling.

"Really!!, oh my gosh!, I apply, when is the interview??, what are your qualifications for hiring??, How shou--".

"Hold your horses Ashley", Sam said cutting off my rambling.