Chapter 7

Ashley's POV

"Hey Ash, can you get me a new pack of icing sugar from the back?" Sam asked as she brought out a freshly baked cake.

"Sure" I replied making my way to the back room. why is it so dark in here. I found the light switch and quickly turned it on.

"Happy birthday!!!!"

"Ahhhhh!!!" I screamed in surprise. I definitely didn't see this coming.

"🎶🎶happy birthday to you
🎶🎶happy birthday dear Ashley
🎶🎶we wish you long life and prosperity." Sam sang entering the room with a chocolate cake.

"Thanks  guys, this really means a lot to me." I said a little teary eyed.

"You're welcome and happy birthday" Nick replied giving me a hug and a book.

"What's this?" I asked taking the book out of its wrap.

"It's a cook book, it entails over 1500 different meals from all over the world including cakes and other pastries." Nick stated with a proud smile.

"Wow!!, thanks Nick" I replied really grateful for the book.

"Can we eat the cake now, it looks really yummy" Rosa said lighting the candy striped candle on the cake.

"Sure, move aside for the birthday girl", Sam told her "and don't forget to make a wish when you blow out the candle Ashley."

I made my way to the set table with Rosa by my side. After a few more minutes of taking pictures, I blew out the little candle flame with a simple wish in my heart;  I hope things get better hereafter.

I cut the cake and gave everyone a piece. We ate, had ice cream and took more pictures.

"Well we had fun but it's time to call it a night" Sam said which resulted in Nick whining like a two year old.

"Oh come on Sam........, it's just 8:00pm" Nick replied with a hopeful look.

"Which is why we have to go,  remember we have 3 deliveries tomorrow ; 2 weddings and a birthday party." Sam stated taking off her apron.

"Yep, we should get going as well Ashley, don't wanna be late for our appointment" Rosa said sending me a sly smile.

"What appointment??" Nick asked suspiciously.

"Nothing of your concern Nick" Rosa answered as she disposed her ice cream cup.

"Don't worry about them Nick, They're just going to a club down town." Sam told him.

"Yes Nick, we're having a girls night out at Hot Blood." Rosa added excitedly.

"Bye everyone, you girls have fun okay and remember to stay safe." Sam said as she left the café.

"Bye Sam!!" we replied in unison.

"Why wasn't I invited to this night out??" Nick asked staring at me.

"Cause it's a 'girl's night out' as in 'girls'." Rosa replied playfully smacking his head.

The ringing of Rosa's phone made her leave the room, leaving only me and Nick.

"So, since am not involved in this whole 'Hot Blood' stuff; and by the way that place is awesome, i went there last week with a few of my friends, ehh.....!! Do you wanna go out with me on Sunday?" Nick asked nervously shifting from foot to foot.

"Ashley, we gotta go Chelsea's waiting." Rosa stated as she stepped back into the room.

"Yeah, gimme a minute" I replied to which she nodded and left the room. Looking back to Nick, I realised he was staring intently at me, waiting for a response.

I also realised things will only get better if I made the right decision, Nick is a good guy and definitely handsome, it might just turn out well for me if I actually dated him. I did like him a lot at least that's what I think.

"Nick??" I called out hesitantly making him pull out of whatever trance he was in. " I want to apologize for all those times I pushed you away, for all those times I 'avoided' you, if I ever made you feel bad or rejected; I'm sorry, I just want to let you know that it really wasn't you in the wrong, it was me, for some reason I was scared, afraid of going through that awful phase of losing someone you truly care about. After my parent's death I stopped being the happy, bubbly Ashley I used to be, it was like a part of me died with them if it wasn't for the fact that I had someone who looked up to me for guidance, I would have lost my mind a long time ago. Alex became my reason for living, my whole world is centered around him, I made him my number one priority and the pain just faded,  I live everyday to make sure he's happy because he became my only source of happiness as well.
I never had  close friends in highschool until Rosa came along, she made me realize a lot of things like life doesn't serve us all its goodies on a golden platter sometimes it comes in plastics; did that even sound right ??!!" I paused realising his amused expression.

"Well, What I'm trying to say is that everything happens for a reason and meeting you might be for a good reason." I said giving him a lopsided grin. "So I just want to wrap up this whole speech by saying that I really appreciate your patience with me even if you've made your intentions known countless times, with all these said I have just one question for you." I said taking his hand in mine and trying not to blush at the feeling of his warm hands.

________________________________________________________________________

Stay Safe

Much love 💜💜