t e n

edited 22aug21

• chapter 10: home together

Jeongin pulled an ignorant face when I walked into the class. I noticed Seungmin had his head on the table, probably taking a nap. Even seeing him like that can made my heart flutters. Aish. The Kim Seungmin effects.

A soft chuckle escaped my lips when Jeongin still did not want to face me. I poked his arm but he just returned it with a huff.

"Whatever." I sighed and took out my history book. Chenle told me reading history in the morning could make you sleepy, but it actually helps for remembering the facts.

I rested my chin on my arms on the desk when I felt Jeongin poking my side. Tilting my head towards him, he pouted, "Why?" he asked.

I giggled seeing his cute face. Gosh can I pinch those cheeks? I sat up straight and whispered, "Sorryyy something came up."

"Seungmin hyung told us you ran away." he gave a doubtful look. "Why?"

My face heated up again as the other day's incident replayed in my mind. Ugh he was so cute but I didn't need to say it out loud.

"Nothing." I grinned.

Jeongin squinted his eyes to me when someone cut our conversation.

"Hyemi," he called. I turned and my heart almost jumped out when seeing it is Seungmin.

asdfhskamlk

"This thing slipped out from your pocket bag the other day." he stretched his hand out to me, giving me a bottle of hand sanitizer.

Subconsciously, my hand went to my pocket bag, and he was right. My baby blue hand sanitizer.

"Uh.. thanks." I took it from him, not being able to look at him in the eyes. This is so embarrassing. I just ran off and without realising my hand sanitizer fell and he picked it up– oh god.

Seungmin nodded before resting his head again on the desk. Wait, was he really sleeping?

Jeongin snickered and I turned to him with my red face. "I wonder why didn't he give me that to pass it to you."

"Shut up."

‹›‹›‹›

Did I mention that Seungmin is the class president again this year? Being the top student, he was voted again on the first day school by most of our classmates– and immediately became the class president.

It's only the second week when I bring my pocky sticks as usual to share them with Jeongin. This has been my tradition since I sat beside Jeno. Now that he is not in the same class as mine, Jeongin is his replacement.

Jeongin knows it's not allowed and how I was caught with Jeno during the previous year. However, he urges me to do it. As he told me, "Seungmin hyung is my best friend. He won't give any punishment."

He was so confident that now we were stuck in the library, arranging the books.

Apparently Seungmin caught on me – and Jeongin – again and made us to arrange the books in the library during dismissal. He had this disappointed look on Jeongin while he did not give me any reactions. Just towards his best friend.

I'm really hopeless. Why does Jeongin even want me to help him?

"Last one!" Jeongin shouted interrupting my thoughts as he brought another batch of books on the tray. Then we heard the librarian hushed him. He sighed, "Sorry Hyemi. I didn't think Seungmin hyung would be this mean."

"It's fine. We're almost done anyway." I said, putting the book on the shelves. After a few minutes we are done, and I realised it's almost dinner time. We quickly got out from the suffocating library and to our surprise, Seungmin was standing there with his phone.

Jeongin rolled his eyes and smacked the older's arm, which he replied with a kick on his leg. "Yah! You were the one who made us clean the library and you are kicking me now?"

Seungmin looked up from his phone and glared. "What did you say?"

"What?"

"I'm your hyung here."

"You are just a few months older," Jeongin said and turned to me. "I need to return home fast. Seungmin hyung will send you home."

Both Seungmin and I widened our eyes when Jeongin ran away. Not again. Is he leaving me with him again? Why?!

My gripped on the strap of my back tightened as Seungmin sighed. He looks at me with an unreadable look.

"You- you don't have to. Just go home." I stammered and bit my lips afterwards.

"Let's just go." He shortly said and we made our way downstairs. This is awkward. More awkward than the day at Hongdae street.

After a moment of walking outside the school he suddenly slowed down his steps, matching with mine. I tried hard not to freak out because we are too close side to side right now. This is unbelievable. How did it turn like this?

"You live here?" I asked as we are nearing my neighborhood. He scanned the place and shook his head no. "T-then why are you walking here?"

"Jeongin told me to send you home," he said almost immediately. "I'm just doing what he asked."

My heartbeat speed up as the words came out from his mouth. He is actually sending me home? Jeongin what are you planning on😭

I stopped walking and he followed after. Raising his eyebrow, he asked, "Why?"

"You can go home now. My house is nearby here." I said, almost cheering for not stuttering in front of him.

"Here?" he asked, looking almost in disbelief.

I nod. "W-why?"

"Well," he looked away and rubbed his neck. "I'm thinking of killing Jeongin tomorrow. He lives here too."

"Wha-" I stared at him in shock before chuckling nervously. "That kid."

"Yeah, he's a rascal." he pursed his lips with his eyes are still everywhere but me.

Now I don't know how to end the conversation. Should I just leave him? Or bid him a goodbye? But we are not even close. Or thank him?

"Oh," was all I said. He looks back at me. "I guess you could kill him then. I'll join."

What happened next is out of my expectation.

He laughed.

Oh god. His laugh is beautiful.

My lips curved upwards seeing him laughing lightly. This was the first time seeing him laughing this close. All I had heard was when he was with Jeongin at the hallway the other day.

"Anyway, thanks. I guess." I mumbled the last one when I felt my cheeks heat up. "You actually don't have to do it."

"It's fine. As my apology for making you cleaning the library." he smiled.

My weak heart.

"Oh that, I'm sorry about that too. I shouldn't have done that." I admitted shyly, it's embarrassing.

Can I make time stops? I really want to talk to him more. But the sun just has to sink down, reminding me it's dinner time and my parents would be worried if they found out I'm not home yet.

Before he could say anything, I cut him off. "Thanks again, Seungmin." I smiled for the last time and quickly turned to walk away. I don't think I could handle myself if I stay there longer. The Kim Seungmin effects are just too strong. His voice, his smile and his laugh. It's just beautiful.

I feel bad for leaving him just like that but I don't want anything happen like what I did the last time.

🥀

1234 words. beautiful.