t w e n t y f i v e

edited 24aug21

• chapter 25: the burning flame

"Um, partnering project again." Seungmin muttered.

Both Jeongin and me gave him a questioning look. "I mean, grouping, right?"

It had been three months since we started talking to each other, and got comfortable around ourselves. Since I sat next to Jeongin and Seungmin, the two always pick me to be their partners for small projects but of course Jeongin would always win since Seungmin has a seatmate. He often rolls his eyes after the loss and when we laugh at him.

I'm glad he's opening up to me.

Jeongin nodded at the question and pulled a chair beside him. We were currently in the chemistry lab to do an experiment of the burning alkane and alkene. I kind of dislike the chapter but when Jeongin is here, everything would turn fun.

"Hyemi, don't be a klutz again," Seungmin muttered as he gave me the rubber gloves. "Don't get the filter paper burnt."

I nodded as I took one from the other table while Jeongin is sitting at the edge, watching the teacher light up the fire. I could feel my hand trembled a bit when Seungmin reminds me that. What if I don't do well?

"If the paper got burnt quickly put it in this bowl." the teacher instructed and both of us held the paper above the flame. I noticed mine is bigger than Seungmin and I don't even remember which solution is that. We're supposed to collect the ashes using the filter paper to see which one produces more ashes.

Eventually my hand got tired as the flame slowed down, slowly becoming small when it's finally gone. Just then the teacher spoke up, "The one Ms Jung is having is supposed to have more ashes. Compare between the two."

Seungmin put his filter paper beside mine and.. he gets more. I think I failed in doing this..?

"Well, Ms Jung can you try doing it again?"

"Sure." I complied, taking out another one and do the same.

"Try to hold it nearer. I think because you held it too high before."

Seungmin

I pulled out the glove from my hand when it becomes sweaty. When I heard our Chemistry teacher says that, Hyemi carefully lowered down her hand and bend down a bit to see the ashes forming on the filter paper.

She turned to the teacher, "I think it does collect more–"

"Hyemi!" I said in an alarming voice when the fire suddenly caught on the filter paper. The whole class turned to us and the clueless girl just stared at the burning paper in her hand.

What is she doing?!

"Put it in the bowl, idiot!" I grabbed her hand and threw the paper in the bowl. The small flame disappeared, but then I could feel a burning sensation on my wrist.

Shit. My wrist caught the burn.

I groaned slightly when the teacher gasped, "Oh god Seungmin you came across the flame! Hurry to the clinic now!"

"Oh no," Hyemi quickly took off her gloves. I hissed when she accidentally touches the burn. "S–sorry, I'll take him to the infirmary." she bowed before dragging me there.

I pursed my lips when she gripped on my hand tighter. Fucking idiot, why did I have to take off the glove earlier?

"Let go of my hand." I said, cannot take in the pain she's adding.

"H–huh?"

"You're pressing on it."

Hyemi immediately let go of my hand. "Sorry! I didn't mean to!"

"It's fine." I glanced at the burn that's making a dark red scar right now. I speed walked to the infirmary to get it treated fast, there's no way I'm gonna keep this scar.

Hyemi caught up on me and she's the one who gets into the infirmary first. She seem panicked and flustered, as if she had done something wrong.

"Jung Hyemi from A-1. Seungmin got a burn on his wrist a–and I think it's w-worsening." she stuttered to the nurse.

The nurse nodded once and immediately took out a few ointment which I have never seen of. She gently grabbed my wrist and dabbed it with a clean damp cloth.

After a few moment the nurse finished treating me and she disappeared behind the curtains to find a small bandage. I examined my wrist, there's a rectangle-like shape with the plump color. I sighed. This is deep.

"I told you to be careful." I said, snapping out Hyemi's thought.

She looks startled before nodding. "I–I'm sorry. I really am. D–does it hurt?"

"A bit," I replied, putting my hand down. "You should return to the class."

"No I need to look after you. It was my fault," she bit her lower lip. "I didn't know what was I thinking when seeing the flame. It just caught my attention."

My eyebrows furrowed as she said that. "What do you mean?"

She was flustered at the question and her hands started to move around, "I mean, ugh I don't know I was... I was just wondering what would happen if— if I got the burn— uh I don't know." she helplessly looked down on her hands. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright, it will heal soon." I said while looking at the bandage around my wrist. "But don't get yourself distracted again with those things. It's dangerous."

"It's just frustrating." she muttered. Her voice was so low that I thought she was talking to herself. Then she looked up with a small smile. "I'll try."

🥀