f o r t y t w o

edited 25aug21

• chapter 42: why do you care...?

After three days of not attending school, Hyemi finally came. Her parents already informed the office her absence beforehand and she though that was the first time in awhile they truly cared about herself, not about her academy in general.

But that didn't change the fact that her father slapped her. She couldn't forget that.

It was still early when she arrived. The classes were empty. To say she was not afraid was a lie. She's terrified.

Instead of sitting on her place she sat at Jeongin's. Surely after the fight with Seungmin none of them want to see each other if possible.

And she was right.

During the whole lesson, she did not just ignore Seungmin, but the younger guy as well.

Jeongin noticed something was off between them, especially after seeing Seungmin being his old self back. He barely talk and only eat a little, that's it, if needed. He'd leave the dining hall earlier than usual and disappeared nowhere. A minute after the bell rang he'd return. For the three days he had been acting like that, no one knows why until Hyemi appeared at school.

Clearly they had a fight.

It was recess again and Seungmin already left. Jeongin decided to follow the guy while Hyemi stayed still. She heaved a small sigh.

how do i talk to him?

It was stupid, she did not care about his feelings at that moment. Before this she promised not to say anything about parents but then look at what she did.

Even though it was subtle, it was still there.

As much as she wanted to hold in, she  felt her cheeks was wet.

i can't cry, she thought before leaving the class. She knew she couldn't meet Seungmin at the moment. So she searched for anyone else. Stopping in front of a particular class, she opened the door but someone else inside had done it earlier.

Seeing Hyunjin, she finally dropped in his arms, crying silently.

"Hey.." the guy stroke her back, knowing why she cried. "It's fine. This won't last long."

"I don't know how to talk to him. It was pretty bad."

"Did you mean it?" she shook her head. "Then tell him that. I'm sure he'll understand."

"He did something that I told him not to but he looked so hurt." she muttered between sniffles. "But I didn't mean it."

Hyunjin smiled softly and pat her head. "Hyemi, misunderstanding is normal in any kind of relationship. Friends, couples, married couples, they all will go through this. The only way is to talk. Explain it to him. After all you wanted to be alone at that moment."

When there was no reply, he continues, "I'm not siding to anyone of you because you're both my close friends. And I don't know what really happened between both of you so I can't talk much. Neither do I want you guys to fight but things happen and the only way to solve it is communication. But I'm not urging you to tell him soon, it's gonna take a plenty of time."

The girl just nodded. Hyunjin took her hand in his. "Hungry?" she nodded again. "I bought some bread earlier. Let's eat somewhere outside."

‹›‹›‹›

It hurts.

Seeing Hyunjin hugging the girl hurts.

Watching them walking away with smiles and hand in hand hurts.