• t h i r t y f o u r

edited 23aug21

• chapter 34: i failed again

Seungmin

The carnival was in three days and most of the teachers got busy. I had no idea whose idea wass this to make a carnival before the exam week. The students were obviously struggling and the teachers were not there to help. But at least they did not ask us to organise it.

I heard a soft thud in front of me and saw Hyemi had already given up. She laid her head on the table with her hand clamping the pen. "Are you sure your head's okay?"

She hummed and stayed like that for awhile.

"Which one?" I pulled her workbook that was previously under her hand. It was Chemistry and I'm sure she hates this subject. But then her hand grabbed it, preventing me to see.

She raised her head without looking at me and her face was gloomy. I leaned my back on the chair, silently watching her. Again, we were in the library since we know Jeonghoon will be at the dining hall to disturb us. Usually I'd be the one who drags her here but today she suddenly brought herself here without even waiting for me. It's not a big deal but something was off.

Her hand moved to complete the equation. She constantly referred to her reference book before moving to the next question.

"Stop staring."

"I'm not staring." Heat suddenly crept up my cheeks but I kept it cool. "If you have problems just tell me and I'll help."

"Okay."

I'm not sure if she had spoken to me more than three words today. "Or do you want to take a break? You've been overworking yourself."

"It's fine." she replied without detaching her eyes from the book.

I closed my book and she looked up, giving me a questioning look. "You know if something happens at home again you can always tell me."

She looked flustered for awhile and shook her head. "I'm just fine. Really."

Why the hell is my heart beating faster than before.

"I'll be back real quick." she got up and left. Well that was the longest she'd spoken to me.

I continued doing my work while waiting for her. She didn't tell me where she was going so I assume she's at the restroom. But as time passed by, she had gone for thirty minutes.

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. Lunch is over in ten minutes and the students already emptied the library.

Maybe she has somewhere to go.

Yes, maybe.

I gathered all of my things as well as Hyemi's stuffs and brought it to the classroom. But again, she was not there. Jeongin walked in and a confused look appeared on his face.

"Why do you look.. worried?"

"N-nothing." I stuttered.

"Anyway hyung, do you have someone to hang with during the carnival?" he suddenly asked. I shook my head. Don't people usually go in a group to carnivals?

"Why?"

"To think of it people don't really go to carnivals in a group. Usually they go in pairs. And I'm gonna go with Hyunjin hyung!"

I was dumbfounded when he continued saying that Jisung is going to stick with Felix and I have to find anyone else. I sighed in annoyance when the thoughts come into my mind.