t w e n t y

edited 22aug21

• chapter 20: i've done enough!

"Jeno-da!"

The seats beside us were pulled before two annoying figures sit down next to me and Jeno. The guy grunted and attempted to throw a punch at Heejin but we all know he won't do that.

"Come on, don't be grumpy." Heejin punched his shoulder lightly, making him rolling his eyes.

"What were you doing?" Mia asked, eyeing both of us. I my chopstick in my hand.

As she was about to reply, another cheery voice greeted us. I internally sighed and smiled and the newcomer, giving them a place to sit.

"Jisungie hyung is called to the detention with Hyunjin hyung again, and we don't have any places to eat." Jeongin pouted after settling down beside me. Seungmin quietly sits beside Jeno, and of course Jeno wriggled his eyebrows to me.

"Aw, you poor baby. I'll teach that Jisung guy a lesson for doing that to you." Heejin reached her hand out to pinch his cheeks but Jeno pushed her arms away. "Yah."

"You're disturbing our moment just now." Jeno said with a hint of annoyance, directing to Heejin. The girl pulled a sad face and her eyes travelled to his wrist.

"Oh, since when do you wear bracelet?"

"Eat, Heejin." Mia sighed, giving both Jeongin and Seungmin an apologetic look.

But she didn't listen to her. Heejin pointed at mine and gasped, "Are you guys are dating?" she whispered.

Both Jeno and me almost choke on our food but luckily Jeongin passed me my drink. Mia and Seungmin had their eyes wide before Jeno stood up, excusing himself to the sink.

I cleared my throat, shaking my head to deny the statement. "We are not."

"But that's a couple bracelet," she argued, looking back to where Jeno was. "Are you hiding something?"

"No! I swear I'm not." I panicked when all eyes on the table are on me. My face suddenly heat up at the stares they're giving.

Mia may had noticed this when she nudged Heejin, giving a warning look. The girl silently nodded and looked down to her food. Suddenly I feel guilty for making her feel bad. I turned to my side where Jeongin is awkwardly looking at me with Seungmin. "Sorry," I whispered and got up, leaving the dining hall.

On the way to my class, Jeno pat my shoulder before giving me a smile. "Sorry about that." he says, guiltily looking down at his wrist.

"No it's fine, really." I reassured him. It was not his fault when they are curious about us. It's no one's fault. I might have just overreacted when she asked that and the stares I got from them.

It's just.. normal.

Jeno sighed, "I really don't want to face her in the next class,"

"Would you mind to skip?"

‹›‹›‹›

The last bell rang. Both Jeno and I brushed off the dirt from our uniform and fixed it.

Jeno shyly looked down, his face went red. I laughed at his new side that I've never seen of. "Thank you.. for listening."

"It's nothing. After all we're siblings."

"But promise me you won't tell anyone?" he lifted up his pinky finger and I immediately linked his with mine.

"Why would I tell anyone about this. Look, even if we fight I won't tell even a single soul. Secrets are secrets and it's not my place to tell anyone."

He grined and ruffled my hair, "I know I can count on you."

We both went to our respective classes since Jeno still has to catch his bus. When I got into my class, it's already empty except my place. I cleaned my desk and made my way to the locker hallway.

That was when I realised something,

I skipped class.

My face turned pale as I remembered it was Math and Science class I missed, and my grades in both subjects are low.

Shit. I didn't even tell anyone I was skipping and no one would have told the teacher if I was sick or–

My parents must have got the call I skipped classes.

Oh my god.

I slammed my locker door close and run to the entrance. What will I do? What would they react? Will they be mad at me? Of course they would!

I panted heavily as I reached the front door. As I was about to unlock it, my parents beat me onto it.

"Where were you?" My father asked with his firm voice and shivers ran down my spine. My hands started to sweat.

"S–school."

"Better tell me the truth, Hyemi."

I was at school! I just went to the rooftop with Jeno–

"Where were you?! The teacher called me you were not in the class!" his fist punched the door and I flinch.

"I– I was at t–the rooftop.."

There was a small gap of silence before my father opened the door wider, "Get into your room and study. Give me your phone later."

I nodded and walked upstairs to my room to take my phone. As I was giving him the phone, he said, "Eighty percent is not enough. It's far from good."

I stood there, frozen in front of my room as I watched him disappear behind his door. I couldn't feel what I'm feeling right now. Honestly, I feel numb from the remarks they made about me.

It's far from good.

Am I far from good?

Without realising a tear dropped to the floor. I quickly got into my room and lock it.

Why is this feeling coming back?

I stared at my shaky hands. My breathing grew heavier as the tears started to flow down my cheeks. I cupped my mouth using a hand and hiccupped.

Please not now.

"Look! Chenle got a higher marks than you. Why couldn't you be like him?"

Am I not good enough?

"Screw that sport dreams of yours. They bring you nowhere."

"She never studies if you're not here, Chenle."

"Oh? You're studying? It's rare to see you like this."

"We need good grades!"

"I gave you good grades!" I whispered shout to myself, burying my face into my hands. "I.. I'm trying m–my best."

Why can't I get a normal parents?

🥀