n i n e t e e n

edited 22aug21

• chapter 19: jeno's siblings bracelet

"Ms Jung, here's your English test results." our English teacher gave the paper to me. My hand trembled a bit as I took it from her and returned to my seat. I put the paper on the desk with the back side facing up.

I'm too afraid to look at the results. What if I don't reach my parents' expectations?

The class dismissed for lunch. Like everyday routine, the students ran out from the classroom like a bunch of hungry chickens fighting over a small worm. I stay put on my seat until there was no one in the class. Even my seatmate has gone with his friends.

After taking a deep breath and exhaling, I took a peek at the result.

80%

Oh god.

No one knows how relieved I am.

‹›‹›‹›

The house was quiet that day. Maybe the twin were asleep after somewhat a tiring day for them. But as I stepped in my foot in the house, I heard a small chattering from the kitchen. My eyebrows met for a second. Who's at my home now if not the babysitter?

I glanced at the clock wall. It's near dinner time and usually my parents would be back after dinner time. It'd always be me who cook the dinner for my brothers.

"Honey, you are back?" my mother's voice asked from the kitchen. A small excitement arose inside of me as I made my way there, meeting my mother with the newly cooked steak.

"Mom, you're early today." I grinned as she pulls me in a short hug.

"I got a day off today from the presentation yesterday," she replied and my father walked in from the backyard.

They are home. This feels almost unreal especially it's weekdays.

"I made steak today since your brothers have been craving for it for long. Wash yourself and bring them down later, okay?"

I quickly nod and went to my room. As I close the door, a small smile appears on my face.

Finally I'm getting a family moment.

‹›‹›‹›

"We are done!" Hongjoong exclaimed with his full mouth and jumped down from the seat. Hyunjae shortly followed his little brother to the kitchen to wash his hands before waddling to the living room.

I took the leftover from the twins to my plate. Whenever they don't finish their food, it would be either me or mom who finished them. Except for their baby food, of course.

As I was munching on the small cutting of the steak, my father suddenly spoke up, "How's the test going?"

Of course he would ask that.

I swallowed as I noticed my mother's expectant gaze on me. My hands suddenly felt sweaty. Honestly the marks are good enough for me. But what would you expect from a education strict parents like mine? I don't have the great feeling in telling them this.

Eighty percent is good enough. At least it is still an A. I'm improving in a subject. That's it.

"Good." was all I say. But of course my parents will not let me pass just by a short and simple answer.

"What's the score, honey?" my mother wore a smile and I admit, it is a little scary.

With adrenaline rushing in my blood, I answered quietly, "Eighty."

The table fell silent for awhile. I could not look at their expression so I continued to stuff in my mouth with the steak. Same goes to my parents, they didn't ask me anymore questions as soon as I hear the colliding sounds between the stencils and the plate.

I'm afraid to see their disappointed faces. I'm afraid if the score is not enough for them. I'm afraid if they say I'm not taking education in seriously like they do.

I do take them seriously. I just started it this year since the past years all I cared was sports.

I'm struggling since the first day of school. I don't want to let them down again.

Even all they ever do is bringing me down.

‹›‹›‹›

"From today onwards, I'm your brother!"

I winced as the loud voice rang in my ears. A bracelet was held in front of me and I stared at it with a weird look. It was pretty, the blue and aqua stones were arranged as blue-aqua-blue. But when it came from a weird person, automatically it looked weird.

"Out of sudden?"

Jeno whined as he pulled his hand down, bringing the bracelet next to him. A pout formed on his face and I could not help but laugh at him.

"You're my greatest seatmate. Heejin is annoying the shit out of me," he complained. "And we are best friends! How could you say like that to me?!"

"You're so dramatic," I teased as I pulled him out from the shop. My first intention to buy a new journal was cancelled when this guy suddenly shouts. I'm not going to show my face in the center of attention.

Jeno's face lit up as he slid the bracelet to my wrist. He then showed me the identical one that wrapped around his. "I know you're facing some troubles now from what Chenle had told me," he voice turned a bit gentl, "If you can't tell your friends then you have me. I promise I'll listen to it if Chenle is busy. You know how good I am at giving advice."

I playfully hit his arm while examining the bracelet around my wrist. It looked expensive, for sure I will take a good care of it.

"This makes us as siblings?" I chuckled and he nodded eagerly.

"You know I don't have any. At least let me feel how it is to have another siblings." he gave his gummy smiles and ruffled my head.

I almost forgot he did es not have one. It'd be boring if I don't have Hyunjae and Hongjoong. I should be grateful for at least having them in my life other than complaining about my strict parents. God, I can't imagine what would I do if I'm at Jeno's place.

"It's nice," I muttered as we start walking, heading to a gadget shop to buy a new pair of airpod for him.

"I don't know how it feels, so I hope you'll be nice to me." he snickered.

I sent him a death glare, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You always hit me," he said, wiping off an invisible tear. "But it's okay, as long as you're my sister I won't hate you."

🥀