t w e n t y t h r e e

edited 23aug21

• chapter 23: arcade play!

"Are you done saying goodbye?"

I nodded with a small pout while walking out from the dog café. Hyemi laughed, "I didn't know you love them that much." her eyes twinkling with amusement.

"Puppies are adorable. No one can resist them," we stood next to each other as we were waiting for the traffic light to turn the lights to green. "Uh.. thanks for the treat."

"No problem, it's nothing much." Hyemi zipped her black purse shut and holds it tight. Honestly it's quite rare to see a girl without any handbags or at least a sling bag. I could say she was the first girl I've seen doing this during a hang out. Girls would usually bring at least a small bag to stuff in their phones, wallets and make ups.

But Hyemi didn't. She did not even wear make ups.

The light turned green and she walked off first. Subconsciously, I caught up with her and held her hand. This may be a bit weird, but I don't like crossing the streets without holding onto someone.

Hyemi flinched, but I did not say anything and dragged her until we reached the other side of the road. I let her hand go and quickly turned around to hide my pale face.

This is embarrassing. Why did I have to do that?

She poked my arm with a cheeky smile on. For some reason I got the feeling she was going to tease me.

"Are you afraid of crossing the road?"

"No." I snapped, avoiding eye contact.

"Then why did you suddenly hold my hand like that and speed walked?"

"I didn't."

"You did."

"No."

"I don't want to argue but you really did."

"I just thought I need to do that because you're a klutz. Even a hand sanitizer could fell off from your pocket bag." I glared.

She blinked her eyes for a few times before letting out an awkward laugh. "That was.. a month ago?" she blushed.

Why is she blushing-

Oh.

The thing fell off when she ran away after saying I'm cute.

Why did I even say that.

"Anyway, I'm thinking of arcade. Are you down for that?"

‹›‹›‹›

Of course I couldn't say no to arcade games. It's been a long time.

We spent a pretty much time in there. Hyemi kept switching games from the zombie hunting until the fishing games. I snorted at her choice which she replied with a raising fist.

"This game is defeatable." I commented.

"Then play other games. Go away." she inserted the token and the machine played a children chinese song. I laughed loudly but the loud music background made it drown.

"I told you to go away!" she frowned and blocked me from seeing her playing.

"Let's compete," I suggested, inserting two tokens on the other machine next to her. "Who snaps the higher number is the winner."

She agreed. We both pressed the play button at the same time and when the fishes started to come out, I smacked on the screen rapidly several times as I watched the number of fishes on the upper screen increases. I heard Hyemi squealing a few times and groaned everytime she misses a fish.

The game ended in one minute because what do you expect, it's an arcade game. I looked at the number of fishes I caught.

83.

"What's yours?" I asked, peeking over to her screen but she covered it with her hand.

"Higher than you."

I mimicked her and removed her hand. "Yah!"

"Just 68?" I mocked her playfully. "And you said you're higher than me."

"Shut up." she shoved me aside and was about to insert more tokens but I stopped her.

"I'm.. thirsty?"

‹›‹›‹›

"So you love strawberries." she remarked, and I replied with a hum.

I had no idea we spent an hour at the arcade and another hour in the shopping mall, searching for a good beverage shop. Usually I'd keep on track with the time but today I just lost it.

It's almost 6pm, the skies were turning orange and there were a few cars speeding down the road probably rushing home for dinner after a tiring day of working. Even it's Saturday. I don't get it why parents are working even on weekends.

Maybe because I don't have one.

But at least they still get to spend their times with their families.

"Thanks for today," I found myself talking. She looked at me for a good three seconds before turning her head to the front.

"Oh," I could see she bites her lower lip. "It's nothing. I just need to clear my mind."

It was silent for a moment as we are waiting for the bus to come. I glanced once again towards her and she looked down, playing with her bracelet.

It's the bracelet that matches with Jeno.

The day at the dining room was a bit unexpected. I mean, Jeno and Hyemi are close since they sit next to each other but when I saw them wearing the same bracelet, I don't know what to feel.

I didn't forget the day Hyemi told me she liked me last year. I'd never forget that because she was the first girl who still talks to me even after I rejected her.

There was another girl before her and after I said no, I found her clinging onto another guy the next week so I guess she just wanted a guy to cling on. But Hyemi, she happened to sit next to me and Jeongin in class and of course the little guy would tease us together. He had been doing that since last year.

That way I couldn't forget her. Was she really talking the truth?

I don't want to experience the pain again. I was hoping too much for Minha to like me but I ended up hurting myself.

When Hyemi confessed I went onto a panicked mode and straightforwardly said no.

Was that a wrong decision?

After spending a few days with her she was really talkative, bubbly and smiley. Sometimes I wonder if there are things that could make her sad.

🥀