t w e n t y f o u r

edited 23aug21

• chapter 24: him and rules

Hyemi

"You had a hangout with Seungmin?" Heejin asked with wide eyes.

I nodded. "But that was a week ago–"

"And you didn't bother to tell us?!" she continued, raising her voice.

Jeno sighed, putting down his chopsticks. "Can you not, yelling while eating? You're gonna choke."

Heejin glared at him while pointing her chopsticks to his eyes, "Mind your own business, freak."

These guys..

"Why are you not eating?" Mia asked, she's the only one who actually normal right now. Actually she had been fine these past days, no more weird statements coming out from her mouth.

"No appetite. Dunno."

"She's on her diet." Jeno snickered.

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes towards them.

Soon Heejin butted in and you'd probably know what happens next. Love quarrel between her and Jeno. I let out a low sigh and decided to leave them there. There's no use reading at the dining hall anyway.

Why do I have to pick a history subject book?

I entered my class only to see Seungmin studying. His head raised when he heard the door creaked open and gave me a small smile. I replied with a nod before he returned to studying.

"You're not eating?"

"Not hungry." he muttered.

Since the hang out the other day we've gotten along pretty well. He no longer sends eye roll whenever Jeongin mentions my name out of sudden and he talks to me quite a lot. I just feel happy. Guess Jeongin's suggestion was not too bad.

"What about you?" he asked me back.

I shrugged, "I don't know. My appetite has gone."

"You're gonna be hungry after this." he said, glancing at me.

I nod, acknowledging the statement. "That's why I have snacks under my table."

Oops.

I gave him an awkward grin as he stared at me in disbelief. Please don't get me into detention because of this. I really couldn't get over this habit since Jeno had taught me.

"You know that's illegal."

I pouted a bit and took out a granola bar, tearing it off. "But it's recess time?" he didn't reply anything which I assume he's kinda pissed off. Sighing, I got up from my place and took the granola bar with me.

"Where are you going?"

"Eat this somewhere else." I replied nonchalantly. Can he not too attached with the rules? I know he is the class president but there's no one here now and we are totally safe if we are eating this illegally right now.

Unless if he reports us and that's dumb.

"Just eat here. I won't tell." he said without looking up.

I raised an eyebrow, wanting to question him. But then an idea appeared on my mind. I took another two granola bars and a packet of skittles from under my desk. He looked up at me weirdly.

"That's many–"

"Let's go."

His eyebrows furrowed. "Where?"

"You're gonna get hungry too and since recess is over in thirty minutes so why don't we go to the rooftop?" I suggested

What.

He said nothing.

I sighed, "Well, i-if you don't want to then it's f-fine." I walked to the door with my shoulders slumped down. Why is he so mean?

As I was about to close the door suddenly a hand stopped me. Seungmin rolled his eyes. "Rooftop is illegal too but I know you won't listen." he then pulled me to the staircase.

Which leads to the rooftop.

My face heat up as I glanced at our linked hands. Probably he didn't realise this but do I care? I don't think so. This was the second time he holds my hand like this and honestly it felt good. It's like someone is protecting you from the harsh reality that I haven't felt for a long time.

This reminds me of my childhood where my parents would hold my hands all the time. I missed that.

Seungmin opened the door and he quickly pulled me outside before closing it. I chuckled when seeing his nervous face. "You've never been here, have you?"

He glared, "I have. But we got caught."

My eyebrows raised, "We?"

"Jeongin, Minha, Hyunjin and me."

"Oh," I nod thoughtfully. Minha was really close to him. What did I expect? I gave him a granola bar and he accepted it, sitting on the ground. "You seem closer to Jeongin that anyone else in your friend group."

Seungmin remained silent for awhile and I started to think I said something wrong. I nervously bit on the granola bar and shifted my gaze to my side, staring off the tall buildings. Why did I have to say that?

"I guess so," he shrugged after a few seconds. "We've been together since kids, it's kinda hard to ignore his annoying ass."

"But he's kind." I mumbled.

The guy nodded, "He is. That's why the whole school are his friends, along with the janitors." he said, smiling a bit. "What about you?"

"Me? With who?"

"I don't know. Maybe the two girls with you during recess, or.. Jeno?"

It's obvious he means Mia and Heejin. But Jeno? "Mia and Heejin attend the same middle school as mine. And Jeno? He's just a good friend," I said while rolling the beads on my bracelet he gifted me. "He gave me the matching bracelet as a sign of a sibling-like since he doesn't have one. It's just sad that he has to live alone."

"Does he still have his parents?"

I nod, "He has. But he told me he was lonely since they often go out for work. So this bracelet doesn't mean as a lover sign as what Heejin thought the other day. Her mind was just.. weird."

Seungmin hummed. "I really thought you guys were a thing."

I stifled a laugh, "We're not. No feelings attached."

"And he should still be grateful. There are more people out there who doesn't have a family or living on their own. At least he still has his family to take care of him and pay for his needs."

Jeongin once told me Seungmin often thinks open wide, even he is just a high schooler. I've never seen him talking this much about such thing.

Ugh I'd be jealous for his future girlfriend.

"You're right," I muttered, not knowing what I should reply. His words are just right. "Skittles?" I offer him the red packaging.

He shook his head. "No thanks."

"What? Are you into green skittles?" I teased him, and he shook his head faster.

"Who even eats that? Ew!"

I laughed as I see his disgusted face. Even with his scrunching nose he looks cute. Heck, he didn't have to try to look like that.

He is cute.

Oh my gosh.

I shook off the thought from my mind. I shouldn't think of that. The main reason why I'm here is to help Jeongin. Then I'm done.

At least bring back his smile to everyone else.

🥀