6

Me and Ricardo exchanged a glance before standing up at the same time. "What?!"

"We have no idea what kind of rampage you two can cause after our deaths. To prove you're worthiness, you'll need to get the Brazilians alliance in order to make us stronger than ever." My uncle raised his finger in the air.

"I'll die before I work with him." I spat.

"You will be attending meetings together to form a plan to take our friendship with the Brazilians one step further." Gianni spoke. "You're both wanted dead by someone possibly more powerful than us. We need this alliance for your protection."

I exhaled and sat back in defeat, knowing this was what responsible leaders would do for their mafias.

But that man had already gotten too deep in my bad books for me to work with him.

I would have to break him one way or another.

*************************************************

A few days later...

I claimed my usual seat at my Uncles office, which held seven others; Ricardo, Rocco and Gianni Romano, Jett, my uncle, and some of his associates.

I placed my pen on my lower lip in thought, only a while left of these gathering and then I'll be free.
Ricardo stood a distance from me. Dry expression, white dress shirt.

My eyes drifted over his bodice. Broad shoulders, and there are those tattoos again. I was never a fan of tattooed men, but this one had me completely intrigued-

"Ariel?" Uncle said, and as I moved my attention to him the tapping of my pen got worse. I hoped Ricardo didn't notice my ogling.

"Anyway, in order to get the alliance from the Brazilians, I suggest we offer to help them destroy their enemies. As long as we aren't starting a mafia world war, this will ensure that we gain their trust and they can see how powerful we are together."

"We should attend the yearly gala before somebody else gets their alliance."

I cleared my throat. "There's a different matter to discuss - about me and the don being targeted."

Ricardo lifted his eyes onto me, a sudden squeeze in my lungs making me inhale deeply. My gaze met with his. "Any suggestions, Mr Romano?"

He slid his hands into his pockets. "This will be discussed later, without your presence."

There was that stone cold gaze I wanted to break so badly. I couldn't do with violence at the moment, so I had to improvise another way.

My uncle neatened a pile of papers. "The next meeting will be in a weeks time. You are all dismissed."

I stood up from my seat, Ricardo's eyes falling onto my body. God, I was wearing black pants and a cami.

We were both left in the room alone as it emptied out. He leaned against the wall and just when I was about to walk out, I stopped.

"What brought you here? To my city?"

He laughed a little. "Funny of you to assume something brought me here."

My arms held my clipboard tighter. The longer I remained here, locked under his gaze, the more my body flamed.

I was surprised at this reaction from my body, clearly it wasn't matching my mindset. Gulping, I hurried from the room.

********************************************

For the next month, Ricardo and Rocco went on missions with me, Irina and Jett. Family bonding - just perfect.