39

I chuckled deeply for a moment.

"Answer my question."

Chase Black walked forward.

"The agreement is that she marries him. They are to wed in 2 weeks." He replied, knowing I would get angry.

"I'm her fiancé. She's not getting married to anyone else." I said sternly to put him in his place.

"Please, let's talk about this." My father urged and took me and Chase Black into my office.

"The only person she'll be marrying is me."

"What makes you so sure? She doesn't even remember you." Chase chuckled and spoke down at me as if I was a child.

"She loves me!"

"She is forced to live with you. She doesn't even know who she is, let alone you."

"I'm warning you now, Mr Black. Don't test me." I grabbed his collar as he remained calm.

My father pulled me back and took me aside.

"Ricardo, Rocco told me that somebody is out to get Ariel. The world still sees her as the leader of the American mafia and the most wanted assassin."

"I know father bu-"

"If she's already wanted dead, imagine what would happen if our enemies found out she's special to you. You don't want to lose her even more do you?"

I lowered my head and nodded.

"If you care about her life, you would agree to this arrangement."

I sighed and turned back to Chase Black.

"What are the terms?" I asked.

"She is to marry him in 2 weeks and be convinced that she knew him before the accident. She had to love him. You have to mean nothing to her."

"And our baby?" I asked.

He groaned in frustration, he never knew she was pregnant before this day.

"You take it, or give it up."

"I'm not giving my child up!" I growled.

"Take it, but she is to think that it was an accident and that she was raped by you."

How disgusting. The thought of her being touched or hurt by another man made my blood boil.

I didn't realise I was clenching my fists so hard, my nails dug into my palms making cuts.

But if I didn't agree, she could be killed. Her and our child.

How could I be so selfish?

I looked away and shook hands with Chase.

"Done." I muttered.

"Sign the contract." He smirked.

I took the pen, and hesitated...

Before signing the love of my life away.

***

I left to go towards my room, locking the door.

I had been brave - or at least I tried to.

But I wasn't a man anymore. I was broken.

And for the first time since I was a child, I cried.

Tears rolled down my eyes as I tried wiping them away.

I was lost...

Now Ariel was given away to a life of lies. Being made to think that I hurt her, that I'm a monster.

But I am a monster...

And our baby? Our baby will have to grow up without its mother.

********************************************

"Look at you. Just look at you Ric." Rocco turned me around to look at a mirror.

My stubble was way overgrown, but other than that, I thought I looked normal.

"You look dead." He said.

"Fuck up Rocco." I left my room and went down to the kitchen. It had just been a few days since the agreement.

"Morning." Irina sang to cheer me up.

"Where is she?" I asked as the maid placed my food on the island.

Irina paused before pointing out towards the garden. There she was, slightly uncomfortable as her "fiancè" talked to her.

"Uh, Ricardo?" I turned around to Irina as she eyed my knife that was clenched in my hand, and cut into my skin.

I released the knife, before standing up and walking outside.

"Ah, Ricardo Romano. It's great to meet you don." Colton held his hand out, although he looked intimidated as he was slightly shaking.

"My pleasure, Colton." I said with a clenched jaw and looked at Ariel who backed away from me.

"Can I talk to you?" She asked and we went aside.

"Is it true?" She asked with a sad face. "Is it true that you raped me?"

I paused and looked down, ashamed to lie to her face.

"Yes. I'm sorry." I tried to put on a convincing show.

"I don't believe you."

"It's true. It's best that you go back to the man you first fell in love with. Colton." I stepped back.

She looked betrayed...heartbroken...deceived.

I fought the urge to kiss her and tell her that I was going to be there for her forever.

And part of it was true. I would always protect her no matter how much she hated me.

But I could never show her that I love her.

"What about those pictures?" She asked with hope in her eyes.

"They were all a lie." I lied.

She looked away and walked back to Colton, unsure.

"You're the strongest man I've ever known Ric." Rocco stood behind me as I watched Ariel and Colton.

"I'm shitting it."

"Watching the woman you love fade away from you. I'm not strong enough to do that." He looked at Irina who was inside.

I sighed and walked away, with my heart as heavy as the moon.