33

"Ariel, it's us." Rocco said, concern in his voice.

"Who are you?" She groaned before rubbing her head.

I ran my hand through my hair, as Rocco went to get the doctor. Dr Bruno came and examined her head.

"She's joking." I said, a chilling emptiness in my voice.

Irina ran into the room, breathless and hugged Ariel.

"Oh my god I missed you so much." She said, before looking at mine and Rocco's defeated expressions.

"What?" She asked, concerned.

The doctor stood up, collecting his papers.

"It's a severe form of amnesia. Her head injuries are most likely the cause." The doctor said, pity in his tone.

"You're lying. You're lying!" I yelled at the doctor as he remained calm.

"Ric, he's one of the best doctors out here." Rocco said painfully as he pulled me back before the doctor left.

"What's your name?" Irina asked Ariel, who had a lost look in her eyes.

"I don't know." She quietly whimpered.

"She's lying." I nodded my head. "SHE'S LYING!" I punched a wall next to me, making a hole.

Rocco pushed me back to calm me down before I pushed him off and went to my office as he followed.

***Irina POV***

My heart shattered as I looked into her eyes. She didn't recognise any of us. My own sister had no idea who I was.

Poor Ricardo, I thought. First they get split up by their parents. Then Ariel gets taken. Then Ricardo finds out she's pregnant. And now?

She can't even recognise herself.

Tears ran out of my eyes as I clutched onto her arm. She looked so lost, but in my eyes she was the same Ariel.

I hadn't cried since I was a child.

"Ariel, please. You know who I am, right?" I cupped her face and looked into her empty eyes. "I'm Irina, your sister, your best friend."

My attention turned towards her baby bump.

"Look, that's your baby." I placed my hand on her belly as she looked with confusion.

I went to ask the doctor about her condition, and knocked on his door before he opened it.

"Dr Bruno. Please tell me this is temporary." He paused and looked off before looking back at me.

"Irina, these things are unpredictable, don't be upset. I've dealt with thousands of amnesia patients. The best thing to do is to wait for her head injury to heal and to show her memories of her past."

I nodded my head before sighing and walking back to Ariels room.

I sat down next to her.

"Are you my sister?" She asked, her head laid back and bandaged heavily.

"Yes." I said as I tried to smile.

"Do you know who that scary man was?" She asked.

"You really don't remember." I whispered.

"Remember what?" She replied.

I sighed and waited for Ricardo to return. I can't imagine how he must be feeling.

About and hour later, Ricardo and Rocco walked in. Ricardo clearly looked distressed, his hair was messy, his clothes were unironed, his stubble was growing untamed.

I stood up, and me and Rocco hugged Ricardo.

"Can you stay? Both of you? Just until Ariel gets better. I'll give you both a room and-" Ricardo asked us before I cut him off.

"You don't have to ask, we're here for you." I said as me and Rocco gave them two their space and went towards the guest room.

***Ricardo***

I didn't know what to say, or to do. My other half didn't even recognise me, in fact, she was afraid of me.

She shivered in fear and hid half of her face in her blanket as she looked at me.

I sighed and left the room, returning with a bowl of soup and water. Ariel could eat now and her IV's were reduced.

I sat down next to her, going in to stroke her hair but stopping after seeing her wince at my touch.

She looked so pale. Like a blank canvas. She had no emotion in her eyes, it was as if she was just brought into this world today.

I got a spoon of the soup and put it in her mouth. She silently drank the soup and the water.

Her belly was showing, and I reached my hand up to place it on her stomach as she watched.

I looked into her eyes, trying to see even a hint of Ariel. But she was gone.

I took in the feeling, savouring it before leaving.

I left and slept in a guest room, so she doesn't get stressed out.

I removed my shirt and laid down on the bed, feeling unsettled. I tossed and turned, feeling so alone and frustrated. Frustrated and angry.

I exhaled and sat up, staring at the ground. I grabbed the sheets and squeezed them in my hand, before taking the lamp and throwing it across the room. I smashed the room room into pieces before grunting and going downstairs towards the kitchen.

I took out a bottle of vodka and took a swig, it was almost daytime outside. The sky lit a dull blue colour as the moon faded away.

Thoughts raced through my mind. Worries.

Why was this happening?

I knew I was a really bad man, but even bad people get chances at love, right?