34

The vibration from my phone woke me up, and I lifted my head from my desk.

*Antonio Calling*

"What is it?" I groaned.

"Boss, we found the Mexicans warehouse. It's best to attack now because most of them are together."

"Round up my men and get to the warehouse. Tell them about the plan, I'm on my way."

I stood up and grabbed my leather jacket before going down to my car.

When I arrived at the warehouse, I placed in an earpiece and got out of the car.

"Where's my capo?" I asked.

"Surrounding the building with the men Ric." Rocco replied.

"On my signal, get inside and kill whoever you see. We aren't leaving until every single person inside the building has a bullet in their head." I ordered.

It's time to finally kill those bastards after what they did to Ariel. I was ready to release my built up rage.

"Now." I ordered and broke inside of the building.

My men easily outnumbered the Mexican members inside the building. They were stupid enough to build a warehouse in my territory. Italy.

I shot whoever I could see. The sounds of gunshots echoed from around the building.

"Watch out Ric." Rocco shouted from behind and I shot one member who tried to catch me off guard.

"You're here." I said to Rocco as we shot more men.

"I'm the capo. Of course I'm here." He replied.

The sounds of gunshots died down and smoke covered the air.

"They're all dead boss." One of my men said through the earpiece.

"Make sure all of my men are out of the building, and bomb this shithole." I replied.

I walked outside towards my car, before Rocco ran out behind me with Daniel, one of my men.

"Ric, you have to see this." He said breathlessly and turned back to reveal Daniel holding Giovanni Mancini in handcuffs.

This sparked my excitement. Time for vengeance.

"Rocco you fucking hero." I grinned. "Take him to my house, and throw him in the basement. Make sure there's extra security around him. Torture and kill him, and make sure you give him level 5." I told Daniel and he nodded his head and left. As much as I would have loved killing him with my bare hands, didn't want to deal with the bastard. I knew it would get me too angry, and when I'm really anrgy, I'm uncontrollable.

There was no way Giovanni could escape now. My men are capable of a lot. They're monsters.

I went back home, with dread making my heart heavy.

I wanted to go home and kiss Ariel. Love her. Hear her stories and see her moods.

But she was a stranger to me now, and I was a stranger to her.

It was as if she was gone. Lost to the dark abyss.

*********************************************

"You can't keep avoiding her Ric. There's a time stamp. It's better if she gets her memory back before the baby comes." Irina was clearly concerned for me.

"The baby." I stared at the ground with no emotion in my voice.

The baby. The baby that is trapped in the middle of all of the chaos.

"Ricardo, I promise you that her memory will be back. Trust me." She said as I looked at her. "Give me some time. We just need to jog her memory and show her things from her past. We need to recreate moments so she can connect with them." Irina said confidently.

"It's not like in the movies, Irina."

She took a deep breath.

"You have to have hope. If not for yourself then for Ariel. She's still in there somewhere."

*********************************************

For the past few days, Irina has been showing Ariel old pictures. I made sure that she remained healthy by making the doctor check her and the baby everyday, and the colour in her skin is slowly returning.

I went into my room to check on Ariel to see Irina sitting next to her, holding her phone.

"This is you and Ricardo." Irina showed her the photo as she had a blank facial expression. Her eyes were so hollow and empty. She looked soulless.

I went inside and sat down next to Irina, defeated.

"This is Ricardo." She gestured towards me as Ariel scanned me with her weak eyes.

"Hi." She whimpered with her injured voice.

I couldn't take it any more, and took her hand in mine. She didn't move it, and I held it there as Irina showed her more memories.

*4 weeks later*

For the past month, I've been avoiding Ariel. She's recovered enough to roam the house, and Irina and Rocco have been helping her gain her memory.

From what I've heard, nothing is working. She's still the same - soulless.

I tapped my fingers on the table as Rocco spoke during the meeting.

"Ricardo?" Rocco asked, calling for my attention.

"Excuse me." I said before standing up and leaving the room, with the mafia members looking at me with confusion.

Rocco came out to look for me after the meeting had finished.

"I know its hard, Ric. But don't lose yourself. We still need our leader. Without the don, the mafia will fall to pieces." Rocco said as I stared at the wall.

"You're right." I muttered before walking out of the warehouse.

"Ricardo! Ricardo!" Irina ran out of my house as me and Rocco stepped out of my car.

"She got a flashback!" She said excitedly and ran inside as we followed her.

Ariel was in the living room before everyone surrounded her with anticipation.

"Tell them." Irina urged.

"Um, well I remember being chased. I think it was on a boat. By you." She pointed at me.

They looked at me with smiles on their faces.

"That time when Ariel was angry at you and you chased her around the cruise." Rocco said with amusement.

"That means progress right?" Irina said before hugging a confused Ariel.

"We have to try more." I replied with hope in my voice.

"We should try to connect with her. Especially you Ricardo." Irina pointed at me.

They both knew that I was avoiding her, but despite me being a don, I was afraid.

Afraid of my own feelings. Afraid of my emotions.

What if Ariel doesn't come back? What will happen with our unborn baby? Will I be forced to spend my life with someone who sees me as a stranger?

This is what I deserve for falling in love.

This is what bad guys like me get for loving...