Chapter Forty Seven

Traveling through the soaring pine trees, sadness hung in the air. What was left of the five clans, began to journey out of the gathering place. Border markers were erased by the stench of dogs.
Usually the clans could fight dogs off, but these dogs were far more viscous, ruthless, and blood hungry.
As you crossed the Shadowclan border, howls erupted from the far away trees. The dogs let out their victory cries, sending birds off trees.
Kits squealed as their mothers gripped harder into their scruff.
That day you lost Bloodpaw, Deathpaw, Pebblestep, Junipervine, Newttail, Blazewing, Tinyvoice, Torrentstream, Robinseed, Heronpaw, Birdpaw and more.
Shredpaw was all you had.
Your son was at the front of the group, his low and his tail hung.
Battle scars raced across his muzzle and tail. A dog bite drew blood around his hind leg.
You looked around for anymore of your loved ones.
Pebbleshade was with her kits, Palmbranch and Junebug.
The other two had died due to blood loss.
You pad up to her, hoping to comfort her.
"You okay?" You question to your friend.
"No, do I look okay? I just lost two of my kits. Just go away, I have my kits and you have yours, now leave." She replied in a matter-of-fact tone.
You glanced over to her kits and they hissed at you.
Taking a step back, Pebbleshade hurried to the front, Junebug and Palmbranch follow.

Leaving Shadowclan territory, everyone crosses the border to Riverclan territory. Fish floated dead in the stream.
Not a single prey scent was in the air, only the stench of dogs.

The Windclan kit in your jaws wiggled around as she whimpered.
"I'm hungry!"
As if this was planned all of the other kits chimed in.
"I'm hungry!"

"Me too!"

"Food!"

You hurry to the front.
"Hailstar? Amberstar? May we stop for a hunt?" You plead.
Amberstar exchanges a glance with Hailstar.
He nods.
"Yes, I believe everyone is quite hungry."

Amberstar led the clans to a tight pine forest.
You over heard the Skyclan cat whisper to himself,
"Sure she would pick a patch of land that suits her. She doesn't care about other cats!"

Settling down with the Windclan kit and Shredpaw, you all shared a hare you had barely managed to catch.
Shredpaw greedily tore through the fresh kill. You didn't stop him, as you would eat his leftovers, and he was exhausted and starving.
Back at camp, Shredpaw starved himself multiple times. He claimed that he was fasting and grieving for Hollowheart.
The Windclan kit was drinking up the last bit of your milk.
Redpaw, the Shadowclan medicine apprentice, had given you borage leaves to help you keep producing milk for the last Windclan cat.
Though you had never gotten her name, she looked like a Draftkit.
Draftkit never actually talked, the only time you heard her speak was when you first met her. She had a tiny squeaky voice that was so soft it pierced your heart knowing that her whole family has died.
She let out a quiet mew as your milk had run out.
Curling around her you shielded her up from the blowing winds.
Shredpaw had finished eating and rested his head on your shoulder.
Falling asleep felt like all your problems and worries melted away.