Chpt 17~changing

The quarry, sat Beverly and Richie. Both of them with a cigarette perched between their soft lips.

After Stan asked Bev to talk to Richie, she asked him to skip during 5th period for a smoke. He agreed. He knew she was gonna want to talk but he needed a smoke, to relieve the stress.

They hadn't spoken yet, only smoked. Until Beverly decided to start a conversation with him, as that was the main reason why Stan asked her to meet with him.

"So Belch and Victor huh?" Richie quickly gave a glare to the girl.

"Yeah, is there a problem with that," Richie spoke back. She gave a laugh, a disappointed laugh.

"Yes there is a problem actually," she replied. "They tormented all of the losers for years." Richie didn't reply, he just shrugged his shoulders and looking down to the grass. "They're not that bad," he then mumbled.

"Not bad? That's not what i heard," she spoke as she threw the cigarette on the concrete, she then turned to face the boy fully. "You find their shit funny."

His eyes then widened and he turned to face the girl too, he began to nervously pick at his jeans fabric. "I didn't mean to laugh, well. It wasn't a proper laugh, i didn't actually find Belch's words funny," he quickly defended.

He waited for a response but looked up to see a confusing look on Bev's face. She then asked reluctantly, "Belch's words?"

"Yeah?" Richie then realised. "Fuck, did they not tell you?"

"No? What the fuck happened?"

"Nothing important," Richie then spoke. Bev then flicked her fiery, red hair and got closer to the boy. "What the fuck happened, cause you do realised how much shit you've told me Rich," she blackmailed with a laugh.

"Wow, Bev blackmailing me? You've wounded me," he laughed back, immediately stopped as soon as Beverly did though.

"Spill it," she demanded.

"Okay fine." He took a dear breathe and made sure he didn't make eye contact while explaining to her. God knows what she would do. "Well, in the hallways. This boy touched Eddie's ass and he freaked out and ran away, he heard Belch say-"

"What the fuck?!"

"Let me finish," Richie demanded. Bev rolled her eyes and continued to listen. "Belch said that he was asking for it because of how short his shorts are."

"You fucking laughed at that?! You do realise that Eddie has been wearing jeans, most likely for that reason."

"Bev, i didn't know what i was thinking.. I did wanna go see if he was okay but-"

"You could've, you easily could've left them and went to see if Eddie was okay.. After being harassed. But you didn't." Richie didn't say much, he felt too guilty. He hadn't realised how serious the incident was for Eddie, and he fucking laughed at some stupid shit that Belch said. Idiot.

"Bev, i'm sorry. I-"

"Don't apologise to me Richie, apologise to Eddie," Bev quickly said as she stood up and began to walk away. Richie didn't say anything, there was silence. The only thing they could hear at that moment in time was the wind that was washing into the trees and bushes.

As the girl began to walk away, she turned back to look at Richie. He could see how disappointed she was in her eyes, he could tell.

"Now i understand what they meant by you changing," she mumbled, just loud enough for Richie to hear.

And with that, she walked away from the boy without saying anything or looking back, Richie wanted her to. But she didn't.

Fuck, i should really apologise to him..