𝟯𝟮

𝗡𝗘𝗩𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗢

𝗡𝗘𝗩𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗢

┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉

            Nothing can go wrong. 

          Sure. Famous last words.

          A large, flying creature swooped down, its screech echoing through the lava fields. We all pulled out our blasters as fast as we could and started shooting at it.

          Din quickly shut the child's pod, keeping it safe from both the blasters and the weird beasts. More of them started to surround us as we continued to fire. The shots combined with their screams was deafening.

          "No! Let go of her!" I could barely hear Kuiil yell. "Drop her now!"

          I looked over, watching as the animal easily swept one of the blurrgs off the ground. For a moment, it seemed like they were gone. I was too hopeful.

          One of Greef's hunters let out a pained scream as he, too, was lifted up in the air. Another blurrg was lifted, but Cara was lucky enough to shoot it down before it flew off.

          My head was spinning with everything going on and I could faintly hear a confused yell for help behind me. Din laid on the ground, pinned by one of the flying creatures. Cara and I made quick work of shooting it off, as did Din with his flamethrower that he was so fond of. At last, they flew away for what we hoped was the last time.

          We rushed over to the child, holding our guns tightly in fear of them returning. Once we knew that we were safe, we checked on the child, thankful that it was left unharmed.

          Din rushed to my side and cupped my face with his hands, moving it around as he checked me for any wounds.

          "Did anything happen?" He asked nervously. "Are you okay?"

          He was so worried, I could hear it in his voice. A few months ago, he never would have been so willingly vulnerable. Now, it was all out on display. 

          "I'm fine, I'm fine." I tried to laugh it off but it came out more as a struggled breath. "Are you?"

          "Better now." He breathed out and dropped his hands from my face.

          Greef groaned in pain, gripping his arm as he laid on the ground. Whatever those beasts were must've done some serious damage. No matter the anger I felt towards him, I was still concerned. I didn't want him to die.

          "He's hurt badly." Kuiil said as he examined the claw marks in his skin.

          "I'm fine, I'm fine." He groaned. "I'm fine. I'm fine."

          Cara sat beside him and drew a needle from her pack. "Hold still. They got you good." She injected the medicine in his arm, but it wasn't enough.