Chapter Three.

Normani's POV

If I hadn't taken that necklace of the box I wouldn't have lost it. My smartass decided it would be a good idea to wear that necklace to my first day of court, sorta like a good luck charm. I won't my case but once I got in my cab I realized that my necklace was gone. I checked my coat, my briefcase, I even went back in the courthouse and retraced my steps, but no luck.

So far I like my job, the workplace not so much. There aren't many people that look like me where I work but I'm gonna make the most of it. Every chance I get I'm gonna prove to them I'm the best attorney they've ever seen. I sat in my office and reorganized my desk to pass the time. Once I settled on the layout for my desk I went and got myself a cup of coffee.

I asked my boss if he needed my help with anything and he told me no. So I sat at my desk and read the newspaper online.

The headlining story nearly took my breath away.

District Attorney Preston Howard wins again.

"Ain't no way.." I said to myself.

There was a video at the bottom of the article and I clicked on it. The first half of the video was from inside the courtroom when the verdict was handed down. The end of the video was of Damien and his family outside on the courthouse steps. All of this happened the day I lost my necklace. I was completely blown away by the fact that Preston and I were in each other's presence.

I decided to get a little stalker-ish and take a gander at his Instagram page. The last time I checked it he had me blocked, not anymore. Part of me wishes I had checked that page because I was bombarded with a bunch of pictures of him...with his wife. Who I have to admit is a very beautiful woman by the way. Even though I had no reason to feel a way, I did. So to gather myself I called my number one lady, my grandma.

"I must really love you to answer this phone right now. In The Heat of the Night is on."

"I'm sorry grandma, I can call you back if it's not a good time." I said.

"You know I'm just messing with you. How's work going?" Grandma asked.

"It's alright for now..." I said.

"Your tone just changed, what's wrong with you?" Grandma asked.

"Grandma, why didn't you tell me Preston was married? And don't lie and say you didn't know because you got the drop on everybody." I said.

Grandma sighed, "I didn't think you cared."

"I don't. I'm just...it doesn't even matter."

"You stalking that man?" Grandma asked.

"No." I scrolled down his page and learned a little more about him. He finished law school a year early, he graduated top of his class, and he was chapter present of fraternity.

"He's a dog too?" I asked.

"Just because the man moved on with his life and got married doesn't make him a dog." Grandma said.

"It's a Greek thing, grandma. He pledged the same fraternity that his father did." I said.

"Oh I know what you're talking about. I remember when he first crossed. They shaved that poor baby's head but he was happy that he made it through." Grandma said.

"And you didn't relay that information to me because?" I asked.

"I didn't think you cared, Mani. You were down at Spelman living your life, you moved on."

"I'm not sure I have grandma. It looks like he has though." I said.

"You don't know what their marriage could be like. They could hate each other's guts. They could be on the verge of a divorce. You never know." Grandma said.