Chapter Ten.

Preston's POV

"Baby hurry up we're gonna be late."

"Rush me one more time Preston!"

I rolled my eyes and poured myself a glass of bourbon. My wife is taking her precious time getting ready knowing we have to drive an hour to get to the banquet hall for my parents anniversary gathering. I downed my drink and walked back into the bedroom. Victoria was standing in front of the mirror fixing her dress. "Let me get that zipper for you."

I stood behind Victoria and zipped up her dress. "How do I look?" She asked.

"Extremely beautiful." I said.

"Thanks babe." I laid my chin on her shoulder and kissed her cheek.

"Is everything good between us?"

"Yeah, why would they?" I asked.

"It seems like after I told you about the miscarriage your energy was different." Victoria said.

"It messes with my head for a second. But I prayed about it and I'm better now." I said.

Victoria turned around and pecked me on the lips, "You look very sexy in that blue suit Mr. Howard."

"Mmhm tell me how good looking I am mama."

"I almost wanna stay home and let you have your way with me, Mr. Howard."

"Oh?"

"But we can't do that because I would hate to disappoint your mother, so let's go." Victoria said.

I groaned and put on my jacket, once I helped Victoria out hers on we headed out. We arrived at the banquet hall five minutes, in black people terms we were right on time. I walked around and opened Victoria's door for her. She hugged my arm and we walked inside. We were immediately bombarded by my family members.

Once we got away from them Victoria and I sat down at our designated table. I was sipping on my lemon water, minding my own business when I heard a familiar voice in my ear. "The golden child has returned."

"Gwen don't start with me today."

"I'm just messing with you, hello baby brother." Gwen said.

Gwen hugged me and my two other sister came and did the same. They immediately ignored me and started chatting with Victoria. I sat back and flipped through the program. I couldn't help but smile at pictures of my parents in their younger days. The crazy part is how much I favor my father. He must've really gotten on her nerves during that pregnancy.

Then there were a few of my embarrassing childhood pictures. I was a hefty little guy when I was growing up. But once I took basketball seriously and started drinking water, I slimmed down. Even when I was a big boy Normani liked me and when I lost the weight she still liked me. That says a lot about who she is as a person.

I was cleaning my glasses when the smell of Normani's perfume hit my nostrils. I didn't turn around to fast because I didn't want Victoria to get suspicious. "Preston, Normani's here." Gwen said.

"Really?"

I turned around and saw Normani looking gorgeous as hell in her little black dress.