Chapter Nineteen.

Preston's POV

Last night was..everything, I didn't want it to end. But all good things have to end at some point. Normani was still asleep so I used this time to get dressed and head home. While I was putting my tux Normani began to stir around. "Sneaking out on me?"

"Yeah, gotta get home to the wife." I said.

I sat at the foot of the bed so I could put on my socks and shoes. Normani sat behind me and hugged me around my waist. She kissed the side of my neck and said, "You could stay here and we have some more fun."

"As tempting as that sounds, I gotta go. I'm preparing for an argument when I walk through the door." I said.

"So you're really leaving her? You weren't bullshitting when we talked last night?" Normani asked.

"No, I really want to be with you and only you." I said.

Normani grabbed chin and pecked me in the lips a few times. "I'll be here." She said.

"Thanks babe." I said.

I walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. I almost walked out of the house without my wedding band. "Damn." I said. I slipped my ring back on and headed outside. It was cold as hell and I wish I had an extra coat. I flagged down a taxi and headed home. While I was riding along I was preparing myself for what was to come when I got home.

When the taxi pulled in front of my building I paid the driver and climbed out. I walked into the building and took the elevator to my floor. I unlocked the door to my apartment and walked inside. Victoria was sitting at the dinner table and it seemed like she had an unpleasant look on her face. I put my keys on the counter and poured myself a cup of coffee. I sat across from her at the table.

"Where were you last night after the ceremony?" She asked.

"I was with Normani." I said.

Victoria scoffed, "That was easier than I thought." She said.

I shrugged, "Victoria let's just make this easier for the both of us. You knew that Normani still loved me and I feel the same way. Let's just end this now."

"You're joking right? You spend one night with her and you suddenly realize she's the one." Victoria said.

"She's always been the one." I said.

"And what the hell am I Preston?" Victoria asked.

"My soon to be ex wife and mother of my child. I want a divorce." I said.

Victoria got up from the table and slapped me, this slap was a little harsh. I guess carrying a child makes you a little stronger. I rubbed my cheek and looked up at her.

"I was there for you when you were heartbroken over that bitch, I helped you move on! When you were crying your eyes out wondering why she left you I was there for you!"

"I get that and I'm appreciate.."

"Shut up. You don't get to talk anymore. She didn't help you become the man that you are I did! I have your last name, Preston." Victoria said.

"Not much longer." I stood up and took off my wedding ring. "I'll pay alimony, child support, and I'll be there for the baby. It's over Tori." I said.

Victoria shoved me in my chest before grabbing her suitcases that I isn't notice were by the door. She walked out of the apartment and I felt bad. Victoria did play a part in me becoming the man I am today, but the rest was me. I'm gonna always have love for her but I'm not in love with her. I guess the love went away the second Normani walked back into my life.

I took off my tux and got in the shower. It seems like the shower is where I do my deepest thinking. It's something about the steam and the sound of the water puts me in deep thought. I thought back to the day I came home from school and told my parents I was gonna Victoria to marry me.

~

"Mom, dad, we're home!"

My mom came around the corner and gave Timmy and I hug. As soon as my mom hugged he broke down. Losing his mom has really affected him. None of us expected Miss Tanya to leave us so soon.

Timmy went upstairs to his room and my mom went with him. My dad stood beside me and shook his head, "I feel bad for that boy. Losing a parent isn't easy no matter what age you are. Ask me I been there."

"I don't even wanna imagine life without you and mom." I said.

"But that day is gonna come and I want you to promise me that you and your sisters will always stick together." Dad said.

"Dad I don't wanna have this conversation." I said.

"And promise me that you'll always make sure your mama is okay." Dad said.

I sighed, "I got you dad, I promise." I said.

"Good, lets go out to the garage and talk." Dad said.

My dad and I walked out to the garage and sat down on the stool and took off my bomber jacket. "So how's school?"

"It's cool, I made the President's List again. Basketball is going very well. Things are cool with the frat and Victoria and I are still going strong." I said.

"That's good to hear son, your mama and I are happy for you. And it's good to hear you and Victoria are still going." Dad said.

"Yeah man, I love her." I reached in my jacket and pulled the box containing the ring. "I wanna marry her."

My dad took the ring out the box and inspected it. "Hmm." He handed they ring back to me. Not the reaction I was expecting.

"Are you sure you're ready for marriage, son?" Dad asked.

"I am."

"Marriage isn't something to take lightly, it's serious business. You can't drop it the moment it gets crazy. You're still young, what if you meet someone else and fall out of love with Victoria or vice versa?" Dad asked.

"What are you really getting at?" I asked.

"Normani. You guys had talked about marriage and all this other stuff."

"Normani made her choice, dad. She dumped me and has made no effort to reconcile so why should I care. I love Victoria and I wanna be with her and that's all that matters." I said.

Dad sighed and threw up his hands, "Then it's settled."

"What y'all in here yapping about?" Mom asked.

"Mama I'm getting married." I said.

"I hope it's not to that saddity thing you bought home that one time." Mom said.

"She ain't stuck up and her name is Victoria. And yes, she's the one I'm gonna marry." I said.

My dad put up the church finger and exited the garage. "I don't approve of it." Mom said.

"Of course she doesn't because she isn't your precious Normani." I said.

"Precisely!" Mom said loudly.

"I'm done with this conversation. Victoria is gonna be your daughter-in-law get used to it."

~

"I really should've listened to mama." I said to myself.

(A/N)

Are you guys happy now?

I got some tragic twists up my sleeve BUT I'm not sure if I wanna put guys through anymore trauma 💅🏾 we'll see

Thoughts? Ideas?

10+, ✌🏽