Chapter Thirteen.

Preston's POV

I feel like a piece of my heart has been snatched out of my chest and I can't function without it. I never thought Normani would leave me again but she did. I don't know which hurt the most. The first time that she left me or this time. Either way I'm a mess without her.

I can't eat, I can barely get any sleep, and my mind is consumed with thoughts of Normani. To make matters worse my wife has noticed the change in my behavior. Every time she asks me what's wrong I give her the same story. Work has got me stressed out and I have other shit on my mind. But it's only a matter of time before I explode and spill the beans.

My mood was so trash that I left work early. I gathered my things and headed home. When I got home I took a shower, slipped into some lazy clothes, and laid on the couch. Before I could get comfortable there was a knock at my door. I dragged myself to the door and when I looked in the peephole my father was standing there.

Something has to be up because my father hates driving to the city.

I opened the door and rubbed the back of my neck, "What brings you to the city, old man?"

"Your wife."

I sat at the counter and my dad made himself at home and grabbed a beer from my fridge. "Tell me what my wife has to do with you coming to the city in the middle of the week."

"Oh I don't know the fact that you've lost a few pounds, she can't get but two words out of you, and you've been acting very strange."

"I just got a lot going on, dad." I said.

"Normani got you bent out of shape, huh?" Dad asked.

Anytime I hear her name my eyes water a little. My dad looked at me and shook his head in what looked like disappointment. "What did I tell you Preston? Didn't I warn you about this?"

"Dad you don't understand. Normani is everything to me."

"And what's your wife, chopped liver?" Dad asked.

"I love her too but..."

"No Preston it shouldn't be any buts. You've got an amazing wife who loves you more than anything in this world. And you're over here stuck on stupid over your first girlfriend." Dad said.

"She was more than my first girlfriend, she was my first everything!" I yelled.

"Let her go, son." Dad said.

"I can't." I said.

"Boy you're setting yourself up for a world of hurt." Dad said.

"Preston..oh you're home already. Hi Mr. Howard."

"Hey sweetheart." My dad gave Victoria a hug and I pushed my glasses back up on my face.

She walked over to me and gave me a kiss, "I wasn't expecting you to be home so soon."

"I decided to call it a day early. How was yours?" I asked.

"Very good. I actually have something to tell you." Victoria said.

"Can it wait until after dinner? I'll order some takeout so you don't have to cook tonight."

Victoria pecked my lips and disappeared into the bedroom. I asked my father if he wanted to stay for dinner and he agreed. I order the food and set the table. When the food came we all sat down at the table and ate. Victoria was going on about how she had a breakthrough with one of her kids at school. She has this one student who doesn't talk at all, but today he actually spoke and it made Victoria's heart melt.

It just didn't happened, Victoria encouraged him to speak up and I guess he decided his moment was today. Whenever, if we ever have kids, our kids are gonna have a great mother in their corner.

Victoria intertwined her fingers with mine and asked, "Is today better babe?"

"A little bit. But I need to tell you something later." I said.

"Okay baby but are you guys ready for my surprise now?" Victoria asked.

"Yeah."

"Close your eyes for me." She said.

I closed my eyes and tapped my fingers on the table. I could hear my plate and cup being moved away from me. "Open them."

When I opened my eyes there was a gift box that looked like one of my law books sitting in front of me. I opened the box and there was a mini gavel sitting in a bed of paper confetti. "Baby I haven't become a judge yet."

"I know. Take the confetti out babe."

I took the confetti out the box and there was picture of a sonogram and a card that read Future Judge on it.

"I'm gonna be a grandfather, again." Dad said excitedly.

"We're having a baby?" I asked.

"Yeah.." Victoria lifted up her shirt and she had a cute little baby bump. I put my hands on Victoria's waist and kissed her belly. "Hi baby, it's your daddy. I love you so much already."

Victoria lifted my chin up and smiled, "You're gonna be an amazing dad."

I sighed, "I love you so much.

"I love you too."  Victoria said.

"Congratulations you too. Now I'm gonna run home and tell my wife."

My dad gave us both a hug before walking to his car. When I came back upstairs I cleaned the kitchen before running Victoria a nice bubble bath. After her bath I gave her a foot massage. I disappeared into my office to do so paperwork before coming back to bed. I took off my shorts and shirt then climbed in bed with my wife.

I lifted up her top and began kissing her belly. "How's daddy's future Supreme Court justice doing in there? I can't wait for you don't have to be a judge if you don't want to. You can be teacher like your amazing mommy. But if you chose to be neither we're gonna love you regardless. And I promise to be the best dad in the world."

"Our baby is lucky to have you as a father." Victoria said.

"And I'm promise I'm gonna be a better husband to you too." I said.

"I don't think you can get any better." Victoria said.

"I can, I promise you I can be better. I wasn't in a good headspace and I.."

Victoria put her finger on my lips and shushed me ever so softly. "It's in the past now. Let's just focus on our future."

"Baby I..."

"Let it go, okay." Victoria said.

I nodded and laid my head back on her stomach. In that moment nothing mattered more than my wife and our baby.

Maybe that's how it's meant to be.

(A/N)

Now y'all know I don't take the easy way out. We will get there eventually, trust me. But after Lost & Found that may be an issue for some of y'all LMAO. I still love ya.

Thoughts?

10+ comments and you get another chapter, laters ✌🏽