X

KIM TAEHYUNG

    I felt really nervous as I got ready for my date with Jeongguk. I decided to keep it simple. Black skinny jeans with a green sweater on top and my white Nikes. I put on my favorite silver necklace and an iron ring made by my dad from an old screw. It looks a bit weird but I love it.

    I spend the last hour studying Economics, trying to get my mind off... everything. After my little breakdown in the shower, I pulled myself together and went downstairs to drink hot choco with my mother and have a nice chat.

    I could always go to her if I'm feeling like I did before but I don't want to. I hate to talk about what happened to others. I don't want to think about it, and don't want to be reminded of it. I want to be normal, to just live my life.

    I'm in a new place, made a really great friend, and I'm going on a date tonight with someone who I consider to be way too far out of my reach. 

    Thinking about Jeongguk I felt a blush creep on my face. I just realized what is actually happening.

    Jeongguk is the definition of handsome. His dark hair pulled back in a man-bun, allowing me to have a good look into his soft-shaped dark eyes. His lips stretched into a boyish grin whenever he looks at me. He's beautiful.

    And he asked me on a date!

    My head's one big mess. It's been like that for a bit. I've been having little staring competitions with Jeongguk. I've had some small talks with him where he did nothing but smile and be nice to me. Even when he did something that might make me uncomfortable or that time when he lied to me over something so small, he apologized and seemed genuine when doing so.

    He didn't have to. He doesn't know me, I don't know him. And if he didn't, I'd still be as attracted to him as I am now.

    All these moments passed by as if they were the most normal things to happen. While I know for sure that if any other student would have stared at me the way Jeongguk did, or talked with me like Jeongguk did, I'd have had many questions and would be very uncomfortable. Especially after my last experience with those types of relations.

    But with Jeongguk it felt so natural, so right. As if it was normal for us to act this way. Which it isn't. I don't know him! I just met him not even a week ago. Before, I'd only see him walk around from time to time.

    I couldn't wrap my head around it. Around the way Jeongguk made me feel. And then again, the way my body started to react on its own to him in the library.

    Before I'd get a headache from all the thoughts going around in my head, I decided to stop thinking about these things. I look at the clock and gasp when it's already 5 minutes passed 6. I quickly get up from my desk and rush downstairs to the window but Jeongguk isn't there yet.

    "Mom? Did someone come here asking for me?" I ask and see her look at me with a frown as she shakes her head.

    "No? Otherwise, I'd call you," she smiles and goes back to the kitchen.

    I sigh and look back outside just to see a car appear. I want to get happy but then I realize it's my dad coming back from work.

    I waited another half an hour, my parents left in the meantime to go out together as my mom thought I'd be out as well. But Jeongguk never came.

    Was it all a joke?

    I don't know why I felt this disappointed, tears swelling up in my eyes for the third time today.

    And then I hear a knock on the door. I gasp and jump up to run toward it. Just to open it and see Yoongi. He frowns when he sees me, quickly letting his eyes roll down my outfit and then back to my eyes. There where my tears had gathered.

    "Tae, are you okay?" he asks and I gulp as I nod quickly, stepping away so he can get in and doesn't have to stay in the pouring rain.

    "Did something happen? Students were talking about how you got into Jeongguk's car after school and I wanted to make sure you're alright," he says with a worried frown on his face.

    He warned me about Jeongguk all along. And I hate how I'd go through every loophole to see the good in Jeongguk and ignore Yoongi's words. But his words were simple and they might be true.

    He just wants to get into your pants.

    But why did it feel so different when he talks with me? When he looks at me? When he smiles at me. I can't believe it, how much I want it to, and even now that Jeongguk stood me up.

    "Come here, Troubles," Yoongi sighed when he saw some tears fall from my eyes. He engulfs me in a sweet warm hug, letting me cry in his chest.

    I felt pathetic. But I couldn't help myself. For some reason, Jeongguk managed to hurt me with these actions.

    "What did he do? I swear I'll beat the shit out of him," Yoongi says angrily, tightening his grip around me. I just shake my head at him.

    "N-Nothing, Yoon. I-I'm just a bit too e-emotional today," I say. That must be it. There is no way I could be just affected by Jeongguk not showing up.

    "You don't have to lie to me, Troubles. I know that asshole did something to you," Yoongi says and his eyes softened when he saw a hint of embarrassment going through my eyes.

    "You warned me a-about him," I mumble and look away. I could hear Yoongi sigh in a bit of an angry way, making me look up scared that he's mad at me.

    "He's dead, Troubles," Yoongi says and gently ruffles my hair. "You want to get something nice to eat?"

    I wanted to tell him not to hurt Jeongguk, but he was quick to ask me if I wanted to eat something. And I honestly really did. I was starving.

    So, I decided to go with him. And I knew what he was doing. Trying to get my mind off Jeongguk. I felt happy to have a friend like him. Who supports me even after I did the thing he warned me about.

    Now we were sitting around a nice round table in a cozy fast-food restaurant, laughing and chatting while eating our fries and hamburger.

    "When did you get that tattoo?" I ask him when he rolls up his sleeve and next to the big cut a black picture of a bow and arrow appears.

    "When I was 17. It's a family thing," Yoongi chuckles as he shows it a bit better.

    "Can you use a bow?" I ask and he nods as he gestures for me to come with him. After we paid for our dinner he takes me to his car. He opens this sort of chest that's bounded against the back of the cabin of his pickup, nailed to the ground of the big open trunk.

    "Look," Yoongi says and gets out a big black bow. It looked professional, making me wonder how good Yoongi is.

    "That's so cool! Can you show me how you use it?" I ask enthusiastically, maybe a bit too excited. He laughs and nods.

    "I will, some other time. It will rain again in a few minutes," Yoongi says and lays it back before closing the chest and ruffling my hair. I giggle at his action and we get back into his car to drive back home.

    "Thank you for bringing me to eat something, I really needed that," I smile and see Yoongi smile back.

    "I obviously can't keep you away from Jeongguk, but I can be there for you. I hope you see soon what his real intentions are," Yoongi says as his eyes lock on the road. "They're all the same anyway," he mutters quietly but I heard it.

    "What do you mean, all of them?" I ask and hear him sigh. I could see he was hesitating to tell me but he went on.

    "His kind aren't honest. They're selfish, aggressive, and heartless," Yoongi says and doesn't dare to look at me.

    Yoongi looks at me all of a sudden and stops the car when we're at our homes.

    "You can never trust them, Taehyung. Trusting someone like him is dangerous," he says before getting out of the car. I gulp as I had never seen that look of desperation in Yoongi's eyes before.

    He seemed genuinely scared.