XII

KIM TAEHYUNG

I take a deep breath, closing my eyes for some seconds as my legs move me forward through this beautiful autumn forest. I walk next to a small river, watching how firey red and orange leaves fall from their trees into the stream. On my right, there are more and more trees. Creating a dark but enchanting vibe the farther you'd go down there.

I love this. Being surrounded by nature. Listening to the sounds it produces and taking in the intoxicating scents. And when I find a nice spot, I lay down a small blanket and sit down.

Just being, sitting, and doing nothing but concentrating on my surroundings. It's the best medicine to stress. The forest feels like my second home.

It's been three days since Jeongguk didn't show up for our 'date'. I haven't seen him since. It made me worry that something happened to him. Maybe he didn't joke when he wanted to take me out but something happened. It made me worry a lot and feel a little guilty.

Everyone I've met so far gives me these contradicting feelings. I wish I could handle it. Just go with the flow. But I feel myself craving stability and clarity. So today it's Tuesday and I decided to go straight toward the forest after school. No one around me, just me.

It reminds me, I have to tell my parents I will be home a bit later. I didn't want to, but I reach into my pocket to get my phone and text them quickly before getting rid of my phone again.

Where I used to live, there was not much nature around me. I had to get the bus outside the big city to see some trees. Here it's so different. It's like they build this village in the middle of the forest and only cared to cut some trees to make some sort of route. It's very lovely.

"Oh, hello," a soft voice says. I look up a bit startled, not expecting to meet anyone here. It's one of Jeongguk's friends, Jimin, I think.

"Err, hi," I say. He tilts his head a bit, looking at me as if he knows me.

"You're Taehyung, right? The new student at our college?" he asks and I nod. He takes that as his cue to sit down next to me with a smile.

"I'm Jimin, nice to meet you," he says and I gulp as I smile and nod. I'm not really in the mood to talk with anyone, especially not someone that'll just remind me of Jeongguk. But he's being really nice, not at all the way I'd expect him to be. Not that he looks very intimidating with that smile and those sparkly eyes. In school, he definitely looks a bit different.

"What are you doing here? Waiting for someone?" Jimin asks and I shake my head.

"No, I'm just enjoying nature. I wanted to get away from everyone for a second," I say, softly chewing on my bottom lip as I look away.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You want me to leave?" Jimin asks with a guilty look on his face. I look back and tell him it's okay. He smiles and lays a bit back, leaning on his elbows.

"This is my favorite part of the forest. I came here to do the exact same thing, you know," Jimin giggles and looks at me. "Why did you want to be alone?"

"Well... I moved here almost two weeks ago and so much had happen. I allowed things to happen that I specifically told myself I didn't want to when I moved here and it backfired. Everyone here is so mysterious as well," I sigh as I look at the water. I for some reason didn't even think twice but tell Jimin why I'm here. He's an easy person to talk with I guess.

"I get that. And don't worry, things will become more clear. It's not that common for people to move to this place and attend Wolfenden college. They just need to get used to you as much as you need to get used to this all."