XXXIV

KIM TAEHYUNG

   "Taehyung."

   He completely froze in his place, unsure of what to do next.

   "Go on. Make it quick then," I say, feeling my heart break slightly.

   I heard what they said. Somehow I heard my mate's voice clearly through the walls and floor. I heard the people talking to him.

   Maybe it's for the best. Maybe it's for the best? I want to get as far away as possible from this. Not from Jeongguk, but from the feelings that he brings with him.

   I feel myself absorbed in feelings I've never felt before. Love being the main one.

   I thought I was in love with my ex. I thought that was true love. But the way I feel with Jeongguk, the way he makes me feel, it's nothing compared to anything and anyone.

   "Make it quick..." Jeongguk repeats silently as he's in the process of remembering why he's here, in my room.

   He moved closer to me. I sit on my knees to reach his height just a bit more.

   "Taehyung... I—" he stood in front of me and slowly lifted his hand. He cups my cheek and I let his warmth comfort me one last time. His thumb caressed my skin and I felt my eyes close.

   "I need to..." he didn't finish his sentence. I scoffed, smiling a little.

   "Reject me? I heard you. Dad doesn't want me to come with you. You become the head of your pack or whatever that means..." I chuckle out humorlessly.

   His eyes showed me how he wanted to ask how. He wanted to know how I heard them. I don't know myself.

   "Is it not my choice?" I ask him. He sighs and looks down.

   "Tae... I lo—" he stops talking and starts over, "Look, I should have told you weeks ago. And now... I'm too late. I have my duties, my responsibilities."

   "And there is no room for me," I finish and flinch away from his hand. "Then why didn't you tell me? Why wait till I fell in love? Is this all fun and games to you?"

   I couldn't help myself. I got so angry. My thoughts of him leaving being the best option, had long faded from my mind. Something that feels like this, can't be wrong.

   "Taehyung, I... I didn't mean for you to fall in love with me," he mumbles. Lies.

   "Don't lie."

   "It doesn't matter. Not anymore. Don't you understand? I have to go there and you have to stay here. I have to reject you. Don't make it harder than it already is," Jeongguk growls out angrily. His mood shifted. From where his muscles were tensed and his jaw stiff, his chest started to heave and fall, and his eyes held a faint red glow.

   "Harder? You don't seem to have a hard time giving up on me, on us," I say which makes him look up. I move closer to him. "But go on, reject me then."

   His eyes flicker to my lips for a brief second but he gulps and does not act on his thoughts.

   "I, Jeon Jeongguk... reject you—" I couldn't handle it. I didn't let him finish. I place my hand over his mouth as tears form in my eyes.

   His hands find my wrists and he moves them away from his face. His eyes show a mixture of relief and distress. I wasn't making things easier for him. But I wanted this to be the toughest thing he'd ever have to do. So difficult, he won't succeed.

   "Tae—" I moved forwards, lips connecting with his. He kisses me back instantly. As if hungry, he grabs my waist and pulls me closer, his lips devouring me.