four.

AUGUST

AUGUST.

"I swea' I ain' take it," Na'imah repeated for the fourth time as her aunt tore up the living room looking for her wedding ring her husband have her. Her aunt was convinced she had done something with it.

"Then whea' my shit at, Na'imah?!" she hollered, making her jump.

"I-I'on know Auntie, maybe you left in the yo car—" she barely could finish her sentence before she slammed her hand down on the table, making her jump.

"You'n think I looked in my fuckin' car, li' girl?" she sneered. Instinctively, Na'imah started to back up from her. She didn't want to be on the receiving end of her anger right now, she had class in an hour.

Tensions in her house were extremely high, as it was about a month away from the anniversary of her parents death, as well as her uncle's birthday, so Kat was extremely on edge and more sensitive than usual, resulting in more arguments, quick hits and lots of smart remarks.

"I-I gotta go ta' class Auntie, Ima be late if I'on leave," she said softly, still backing away from her.

"Get the fuck out my face, Na'imah," she replied. Na'imah didn't give it a second thought before turning on her heel and speeding towards the front door, snatching her school bag from the front and walking out.

She took a heavy breath and tried to rid herself of the emotions she was feeling but it was hard. It never easy, didn't matter how long her parents had been gone, she missed them every day, and even more so on September 1st. She was young when it happened but she'd never forget.

They were on their way to her uncle's birthday dinner. Her booster seat sat in the middle seat of their Toyota and she sang along to whatever song was on the radio happily.

"My baby has a beautiful voice huh?" Safiyyah spoke, glancing back at her 6 year old daughter.

"She get it from ha' daddy," Nasir smirked, making his wife laugh giddily, knowing he couldn't sing a lick. "I'on know why you laughin' Fi," he chuckled.

"Baby, can daddy sing?" she looked back at Na'imah again. Her eyes opened to look her mother in her eye and instantly smiled.

"Sometimes mama, when he in the showa' he sound real good," she nodded. "But you sing real good all the time mama," she pointed out, making Nasir smack his teeth while Safiyyah laughed.

"Princess, you was supposed ta' say yes,"

"Sorry daddy," she giggled.

"It's aight pretty girl," he chuckled. "But daddy cook real good right?" he smirked over at his wife and it was her turn to smack her lips.

"Yes! You make the best food, daddy," she nodded.

"Thank you li' mama," he smiled fondly at his daughter through the rearview, in awe that he and his wife made something so precious and beautiful. He grew more enamored by her everyday.