chapter 5: Dinner Invitations

Snow fell around the castle that night as Cherry kept consoling Belle. Belle kept crying and looked up at the younger girl.

"You didn't have to stay here with me, you know." Belle sniffled.

"I know, but you're my friend. I just thought it'd be best to stay here for your sake." Cherry explained.

"Thank you..." Belle sniffled.

"Would you like me to leave you alone a bit?"

Belle nodded as Cherry left. Once Cherry went out the doors, Belle buried her face back onto the covers of her new bed and sobbed heavily. She couldn't help but feel hungry and couldn't wait for the dinner she and Belle would have. She now realized though she would deeply miss her mother's cooking, but tried to make the best of tonight and her new adventure with a new friend. Cherry came back to check on Belle to make sure she was okay, but Belle kept crying. She wished she could be home with her father.

Belle got up though as she wiped her tears, hearing someone at the door after Cherry sat back down beside her.

"Who is that?" Belle asked.

"Probably one of the servants I met. It's really cool, the servants are..." Before Cherry could go further, Belle went to the door and opened slightly.

"Who is it?"

"Mrs. Potts, dear," an elderly British accent came from the other side.

Belle opened the door and gasped to look down and see a teapot with a teacup, creamer and sugar bowl come alive and go near her.

"I thought you might want a spot of tea." Mrs. Potts smiled at the girls.

"Thank you, Mrs. Potts, ma'am." Cherry smiled at the elderly teapot.

"But you're.... Cerise, they're..." Belle backed away and bumped into a wardrobe by accident.

"Oh, careful!" the wardrobe chuckled.

"This is impossible." Belle said slowly as she sat back down on the bed.

"Sorry Madame Armoire, Belle is new to this talking household objects thing." Cherry explained. "I met them while I left you alone, Belle. That's the castle opera singer, Madame Armoire and this is Mrs. Potts and her son, Chip."

"Nice to meet you." Belle looked down at the teapot and teacup.

"I told you they were pretty, Maman." Chip smiled.

Mrs. Potts poured some tea for Belle into Chip as he hopped over to her hands to be picked up.

"Thank you." Belle smiled.

"Hey, wanna see a trick?" Chip asked. Both girls looked at the teacup as he blew tea bubbles from the top of his head.

"Chip!" Mrs. Potts scolded her son.

"Oops, sorry." Chip looked down sheepishly.

"Boys." Cherry rolled her eyes.

"That was a very brave thing you did, my dear." Mrs. Potts told Belle.

"We all think so," Madame Armorie added.

"How did you all know?" Belle asked.

"Cerise told us." Chip explained.

"I see..." Belle bowed her head. "But I've lost my father, my dreams, everything..."

"Cheer up, child." Mrs. Potts smiled. "It'll turn out right in the end, you'll see. Oh, listen to me. Jabbering on while there's a supper to put on the table. Come along, Chip dear. See you later, Cerise, such a lovely dear." Mrs. Potts hopped off with the rest of the tea set.

"Bye!" Chip called to the girls as he followed Mrs. Potts to out the doorway.

"Well now." Madame Armorie looked at Belle and Cherry as she looked at them both. "What shall we dress you both in for dinner? Let's see what I've got in my drawers." She opened her drawers and moths flew out, making her slam them back closed in embarrassment and she looked away sheepishly. "How embarrassing..." Madame Armorie opened her door back up to show a pink dress along with some others. "Oh, here we are. You'll look ravishing in this one!"

"That's very kind of you," Belle smiled apologetically. "But I'm not going to dinner."

"But you must!" Madame Armorie gasped.

The door opened and out came Cogsworth, the mantle clock. He gave a bow as a loyal servant and cleared his throat. "Dinner is served," he said.

Cherry decided to help deliver the news. She explained the whole thing to Cogsworth as they went down to the dining room. Cherry kept her hands in her pockets and followed the clock as they made their way to the doors.

"Let me do the talking, child." Cogsworth instructed the 10-year-old girl.

"Very well, sir." Cherry nodded politely.

Cogsworth and Cherry went into the dining room. The Beast had a friendly smile attempt, but it faded as he saw them without Belle.

"Well, where is she?" the beast growled.

"Who? Oh! Hehe, the other girl!" Cogsworth sounded nervous as he rambled. "Actually, she's in the process of.... Well, circumstances being what they are... Umm... Cerise?" Cogsworth looked up at Cherry in hopes she would have a better excuse.

"She's not coming." Cherry sighed.

"WHAT!?" the Beast roared after a moment of silence and he rushed off to Belle's room. Lumiere, Mrs. Potts, Cogsworth and Cherry tried to run after him to calm him. The Beast then pounded on Belle's door. "I thought I told you and your friend to come down to dinner!"

"I'm not hungry!" Belle called.

"You come out or I-I-I'll break down the door!" the Beast roared.

"Master," Lumiere cleared his throat. "I could be wrong, but that might not be the best way to win the girl's affections."

"Please, attempt to be a gentleman!" Cogsworth suggested.

"But she's being so difficult!" the Beast glared at the door.

"Men..." Cherry rolled her eyes.

"Gently, gently..." Cogsworth said in a gentle voice.

The Beast calmed for a minute, then took a deep breath. He then dropped his frightening baritone. "Will you come down to dinner?"

"No!" Belle protested.

"Sir, you have to give her patience." Cherry advised, pushing her glasses back. "Good comes to those who wait."

"It would give me a great pleasure if you would join me for dinner." The Beast hissed thru his teeth. He then looked at Cherry, then back at the door. "Please."

"No thank you!" Belle argued.

"You can't stay in there forever!"

"Yes I can!"

"FINE, THEN GO AHEAD AND STARVE!" the Beast grabbed Cherry by the collar and held her in a threatening way. "If one of you doesn't eat with me, then none of you eat at all!" The Beast opened the door, threw Cherry in, then closed the door, storming off for the night.

"Hey Belle..." Cherry walked over to her friend.

"Hi Cerise..." Belle sighed.

"You should give the master a chance."

"I don't know."

"Your friend is right, Belle." Madame Armorie smiled. "The Master's really not so bad once you get to know him. Why don't you give him a chance?"

"I don't wanna get to know him!" Belle folded her arms. "I don't want anything to do with him!"

"I'm here if you need anything." Cherry jumped up beside her as they were in bed without dinner that night.