chapter 31: The Broken Wing

Snow fell outside the castle windows yet again. This winter was lasting a lot longer than most winters. The Beast was awake this time and kept yelling for attention. Cherry was in the study writing. She was now accustomed to living in the castle. Sure, she missed her family, but now she felt like she could adjust to living in a castle. She had always wanted to live in a castle, but she didn't really want to be a royal in order to do so. This castle was a good example of that.

Cherry watched a bird outside the powerful snow storm. It wasn't a pigeon so it couldn't have been Witherspoon. Belle came with her and watched, but the bird was gone. Cogsworth came in earlier to tell the girls that Belle would be having lunch with the Beast, only this time, without Cherry.

"Really, the Master's a lovely fellow," Madame Armoire tried to persuade Belle to accept the invitation. "If you overlook a few things."

"Belle, there's a bird out there that looks hurt." Cherry pointed to the bird from earlier.

Belle nodded in agreement and opened the door to let in the howling wind with a few snowflakes and the bird was forced right inside the castle.

"Like his personality, his appearance, his manners, personal hygiene, taste in clothes, no sense of humor whatsover, and that breath!" Madame Armoire went on and on about the Beast. "Well, it's just-" the wardrobe then sniffled as Belle picked up the poor bird. Madame Armoire sniffled more and sneezed all over Cherry.

"Bless you." Cherry mumbled as she was dripping.

"What brought that on?" Madame Armoire wondered, then turned to the girls. "The only thing I'm allergic to is-!" she then panicked once she saw Belle walk with the bird.

"A bird." Belle said.

"Oh, my! Oh, me!" Madame Armoire panicked. "Oh, dear! The Master, he will- He doesn't care for animals much..."

"He has a pet dog." Cherry replied, referring to Sultan.

"But it's only a tiny bird." Belle stroked the bird's feathers.

"The Master likes birds least of all!" Madame Armoire added.

"You can't be serious." Belle told her.

There was pounding on the door just then.

"Hello? the Beast's voice came from the other side. "Are you in there?"

"Do something with it, my dears, quickly!" Madame Armoire told the girls. "Quickly, dears!"

"I know!" Cherry chimed and put the bird inside Madame Armoire's doors.

"Oh, no! Not there! Of all places!" Madame Armoire gasped.

"If you're there, open the door!" the Beast growled.

Belle opened the door and the Beast settled down.

"Oh," he returned his fiery anger. "What took you so long?"

Madame Armoire began sneezing as the Beast marched in with Cogsworth and Mrs. Potts.

"Yeah, okay, who's wearing cashmere?" Madame Armoire asked as a cover up and sniffled. "There's cashmere in the room. Is it me or is it really hot in here?"

The Beast shrugged her off, then put his hands behind his back as he looked nervous around Belle.

"The invitation, Master." Cogsworth whispered to the beast.

"Oh, yes," the Beast replied, dryly, then walked toward Belle. "You're having lunch with me without Cerise!"

Cogsworth facepalmed.