eight

WARNING

this book deals with themes such as mature content, anxiety, drug usage, depression, and strong language.

✧・: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"he's so hot, el." max says, her voice muffled through the waffle she stuffed in her mouth. "i don't understand why you haven't just claimed him yet."

i roll my eyes at my best friend, scoffing. we sit across from each other in an almost empty waffle place, even though it's 4 pm and far too late to eat breakfast. i sigh, leaning back into the red, leather booth i'm sitting on, and i idly spin a plastic spoon between my fingers as max glares at me.

"well?" she prods on, shoving a fork in her mouth, probably a little too aggressively.

"max," i say, raising my eyebrows at her. "i really don't think you should even find him hot, you're two years into a relationship!"

"el, i'm not attracted to him, i'm simply just explaining why you should be attracted to him." max replies easily, shrugging her shoulders. "besides lucas and i are going to get married and have little baby max's, i know it. there's absolutely no competition for him."

i smile softly at max's words, and i think about how max and lucas truly are the perfect couple. they're compatible, almost never fight, and love each other wholeheartedly.

sometimes i wish i had that.

"i don't like him, max." i say, emphasizing my words. "we're just friends."

"el, you're on facetime with him literally all night, and you're texting him 24/7, and everytime you think of him a gigantic smile appears on your face, and you expect me to believe that there isn't even a tiny little crush there?" max says in disbelief, letting her fork fall onto her empty plate, cleaned free of any remaining traces of waffle or syrup.

i sigh, allowing my eyes to wander across the little diner as i process her words. i smile slightly at the familiar sight of the red stools against the counter and the large jukebox sitting in the corner, just waiting for someone to insert a coin and dance to its music.

mike would love this place. if he ever comes to austin i'm definitely taking him here.

"el!" max says, interrupting my thoughts with her loud voice. "stop thinking about mike!"

i whip my head back to face her, and i let out an exasperated sigh. "how'd you know?"

max smiles knowingly. "because whenever you think about him your eyes go all dreamy and you smile like harry styles just kissed you."

"i want harry styles to kiss me." i grumble, poking at the untouched waffles in front of me, doused in syrup.

"ok well," max says, now moving a waffle from my plate to hers. "harry styles doesn't know you exist, but you know who does?"

"mike." i sigh, glaring at max as she eats my waffles with a content grin on her face. "i just think he's unbelievably cute, and kind and funny. that doesn't mean i like him."

"mhm." max mumbles through a stuffed mouth. "keep telling yourself that hon, but he is your soulmate."

i'm about to half-yell at max when the door to the diner suddenly swings open, bringing in about a dozen teenagers, all laughing and staring at the place with slight disgust on their faces. the waiter at the counter sighs when she sees them, knowing that they're not the nicest customers

not the nicest people either.

"ellie!" a girl says, and i look at her to realize that it's may thompson. the girl that brought max and i into her circle of popularity and fakeness, and now we can't escape. don't get me wrong, she's sweet sometimes. as kids we were really good friends, but she soon became extremely fake and snobbish, and now she's considered one of the popular girls, reigning over the social hierarchy of my high school