fifteen

WARNING

this book deals with themes such as mature content, anxiety, drug usage, depression, and strong language.

✧ ゚・:*✧ ゚:*゚   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

[ two days later ]

"hey, uh, can i sit here?" an unfamiliar voice asks me, interrupting the silence of our surroundings. the librarian near us hisses as i slowly raise my head, moving my gaze from the notes i'm hastily scribbling down, to the boy in front of me

miles.

he stands before me, lazily holding his backpack with one hand as he runs his long fingers through his hair with the other. a crooked smirk appears on his face, revealing his pearly whites.

i narrow my eyes slightly before nodding and focusing my attention back into my work. i only have a half hour left of study hall and i barely prepared for the test next period.

the boy slides into the seat beside me, dropping his bag carelessly on the floor and leaning back into the chair, letting out a long breath. through my peripheral vision i see him cross his arms and look at me, his gaze heavy.

"what?" i ask irritably, not wanting this boy to distract me from my goal to ace this english test.

"i'm surprised that you aren't staring at me." he says, his voice smooth with a hint of mischief. "most girls can't take their eyes off of me."

my eyebrows pull together as i slowly look back up at him, scoffing.

"listen, miles... right?" i say with a small laugh, shaking my head. "i really don't care enough about you to stop studying right now, so can you please just... not talk?"

"okay, now i'm confused." miles replies, shifting in his seat to fully face me. "you're the first girl i've ever met that isn't interested in me."

"i have a boyfriend." i say easily, using the excuse i constantly blurt out to drunk teenage boys at parties.

i lower my head further over my notes, trying to drown out the incessantly annoying presence of miles by scrawling words into my journal, but he only speaks louder.

"what's your name?" he asks, sounding genuinely curious.

i sigh, rubbing my temples with my fingers and looking at him in defeat. "el."

"oh, well, it's nice to meet you el." miles says, peeking over my shoulder to look at my work.

i throw him a glance, narrowing my eyes at him. "i would say it's nice to meet you too, but it really isn't. please stop bothering me or just leave."

miles' curly hair flops in front of his eyes as he scoffs, disregarding my words. "you seem like the kind of girl who knows how to have fun. how about we leave and have a smoke?"

i stop writing mid-sentence and flutter my eyes closed, letting out a long exhale. the fear of possibly failing my test sets in as i debate getting up and moving tables altogether.

to my dismay, miles takes my silence as an opportunity for him to talk even more. "come on, i know you party. i know your reputation, people talk in this school."