twenty-seven

"give me a dance and maybe i'll give you that kiss."

✧ ゚・:*✧ ゚:*゚   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

EL'S POV

"remember when you told me you hate to dance?" i ask, turning my face to look up at mike as we walk along the moonlight-bathed sidewalk. i feel his fingers intertwined with mine, unsure of when we reached for each other's hands, but not complaining as i relish in the feeling of his touch.

mike absentmindedly strokes my hand with his thumb as he meets my gaze, a slight furrow between his eyebrows. "yeah..." he replies, nodding slightly.

i smile, beaming up at him. "well, you're gonna have to make an exception today." i say with a pep in my voice, observing how mike's mouth falls agape.

"w-what?" he sputters, staring at me in shock. "we're dancing?"

"you could call it that." i shrug, lifting the vinyl that i'm holding to our eyes, admiring the signature scrawled across it.

"el, i can't dance." mike says with amusement in his voice. he tilts his head at me, his eyebrows raised.

"i'll teach you." i say with a small smile, squeezing mike's hand lightly.

it's that moment when i realize how happy i am right now. happier than i've been for a long time. i feel adrenaline coursing through my veins and joy surging through me as i stay latched onto the hand of the boy who makes me smile like no one else. during our walk, i found myself stealing glances at his face, admiring how the moonlight reflects in his dark eyes, how he bites his lower lip as he smiles, how his curly locks flop into his eyes and all i want to do is reach up and run my hands through them.

it's pure bliss, being so close to him, being able to hold his hand in mine, feeling the butterflies rise in my stomach when we hold each other's gazes for a moment too long.

i wonder if he knows how happy he makes me.

mike breaks me out of my thoughts, with a slight squeeze of my hand, bringing me back to reality. i notice how he's staring at me, his eyes so intently fixed on my face as if there's nothing he would rather look at. after a moment, he shakes his head slightly, lowering his head down as a smile curves his lips.

"what?" i ask, nudging him lightly, unable to keep a smile off my face.

"you're just beautiful." he mumbles, not meeting my eyes.

an indescribable feeling overwhelms me, enveloping me in its serenity as a blush rises up my cheeks. i shake my head softly, looking down at our intertwined hands as i lean my head on his shoulder, pulling myself even closer to him as we walk.

"says you." i whisper just loud enough for him to hear me.

"what's that supposed to mean?" mike says with a laugh, probably still smiling as hard as i am.

i slowly look up, raising my face to his as i squint at him, analyzing his features. i detach my hand from his to bring it up, moving my finger to lightly trace the curve of his cheekbone like i've wanted to do since the moment i saw him. mike freezes under my touch, both of us simultaneously coming to a halt on the sidewalk.