thirty-nine

"at school, but i want to kiss you."

LOL HEY DISCLAIMER!! there's a time jump in this chapter cause i'm v tired and writing make up scenes takes a lot of brain power<3

✧ ゚・:*✧ ゚:*゚   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

MIKE'S POV

"wait, i don't get it." nancy says, pulling my attention away from the thoughts circling in my mind. "wasn't she supposed to come here yesterday? the flight was booked and everything!"

i sigh, propping my elbows on my knees and resting my forehead against my palms. nancy and i are currently sitting in her 2014 toyota, which is probably way too banged up for it to be safe for her to be driving, but she hasn't been able to part with it.

i shift the position of my head so i can angle my gaze towards her, losing track of where i was in the speech i was reciting in my head. the speech i would say to el whenever i would see her again.

el, i shouldn't have assumed the worst from the beginning. it was a bad choice on my part. i should have let you talk and explain yourself when we facetimed. we should talk this out—

"hello?" nancy raises her voice an octave and slaps me upside the head, disrupting my thoughts yet again. "answer my question, ya dick."

i direct a pointed glare towards her and then give an exasperated reply. "there's a really bad storm in austin. you should know this, you just flew from there a few days ago! anyway, all flights yesterday were cancelled. she said she got refunded—"

"so you two have talked!" nancy says in delight, clapping her hands together.

"no." i say with a sigh, squeezing my eyes shut as i revisit the memory of last night in my head. "she called me, and i— um, i didn't know what to say. i chickened out, so i gave the phone to mom. i just had her pretend like she was the one who picked up in the first place—"

"michael wheeler!" nancy says with a gasp, making sure to hit me again, this time even harder. "you idiot! you could have talked to her then and there. now you have to do the whole awkward phone call thing, and who knows if she'll even pickup!"

"i can't call her again!" i complain, rubbing my eyes in frustration. "the storm cut all the power in el's neighborhood. i'm guessing that her phone is dead, she lost our snap streak—"

"really? wasn't it so high?"

"yes, it was my highest. i was so sad—"

"ok, shut up. we're off topic." nancy interrupts me, steering us back to the original conversation. "how do you know her powers out?"

"max told me."

"and max still has power?"

"no."

"then how did she tell you."

"she still has phone battery."

"wait, so why can't you forward a message to el through max?"

"el and max are having some argument. they haven't spoken in like two days"

nancy laughs, throwing her head back into her seat. "god, i miss being a teenager. y'all have such petty drama."

"this is such a mess." i whine, rubbing my face in distress as nancy continues to chuckle.

"look mike, you just need to wait out that storm. wow, i'm so glad i flew out of austin before that happened, look at my luck! anyway, just wait until you can text el, or call her. you two aren't communicating, so this situation is 100% a giant misunderstanding. just watch, by next week, you'll be that perfect, little, disgustingly-happy couple again!" nancy says, all in one breath, ending her speech with a wide smile. she then proceeds to unlock her car and shove me with her free hand. "now get out, i have to pick up a friend."