thirty-eight

"you fucking cheated."

✧ ゚・:*✧ ゚:*゚   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

MIKE'S POV

"mike just tell us what happened."

"it can't be that bad, c'mon!"

"mike, you've been a mopey pile of fleas all day,
just talk to us."

"wheeler, get up off your ass. you've consumed like two boxes of pizza in the past hour."

"he's so heartbroken."

"he's so lonely."

"what do you think she did?"

"probably something bad..."

"ooh, they probably had a fight."

"mike wouldn't ever disagree with her, he worships her too much."

"do you think—"

"can you both shut the hell up!" i half yell, lifting my aching torso up from my bed and giving the two boys before me an exasperated glare.

dustin freezes, a slice of pizza halfway past his teeth, and his hand shoved over will's open mouth.

neither of them speak, both staring at me in a weirdly concerning manner. i release a long sigh and return to my curled up position atop my bed, one hand resting on my phone hoping to feel the familiar vibration, signaling her text.

"...whatever, keep talking. this is weird." i mumble after a prolonged moment where the only sound in the room was dustin's slow chewing.

they both blurt out questions at the same times, dustin leaping forward as if to make a point that his question has a higher urgency.

i crack my eye open just a crack to see dustin blabbering words to me in an incomprehensible manner, his arms flailing to make erratic hand gestures.

"english?" i groan, rubbing my sleep-deprived eyes as i struggle to understand anything that dustin is saying.

"fine, fine." dustin says after taking a large gulp of air. "who screwed up? because someone obviously screwed up. like look at the state of you! you look like you got rejected from your safety schools and now are sentenced to a life being a drive thru worker at some knockoff mcdonald's! see, mike, whatever it is, you and el will get through it. your love is stronger than this!"

"um, i don't think they've said 'i love you' yet..." will interjects, kicking dustin's shin in the process.

dustin's jaw falls open. like literally falls open with his tongue hanging out as he directs a perplexed stare at me. "WHAT? god, mike how long are the both of you going to be in denial. i think you're just a wimp. yes, that's it. that's probably why you two are fighting in the first place. el realized what a wimp you are and you got defensive. see, i'm basically a relationship therapist! i just figured out what y'alls entire fight is about in like 0.2 seconds. mike, i think you should need to suck it up and send her a really cheesy apology essay—"

"she slept with someone else." i whisper, just loud enough for dustin and will to hear me. dustins voice immediately comes to a halt, leaving the room soundless and full of tension.