fourteen

WARNING

this book deals with themes such as mature content, anxiety, drug usage, depression, and strong language.

✧ ゚・:*✧ ゚:*゚   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

[ two weeks later ]

"god, could she shut the fuck up..." i whisper as i slump onto the wooden desk in front of me and groan just loud enough for the redhead beside me to notice.

"you're gonna land yourself in detention if she hears you." max whispers back, but a hint of playfulness lingers in her tone, proving that she agrees with me.

i frown and turn my head to look at max, her hair in some sophisticated updo, but her outfit completely underwhelming, just being a sweatshirt and grey sweats.

"detention's fun when you go with me." i grumble, raising my eyebrows at max.

under the table, max's leg shoots forward and kicks me, hard, and i groan, shooting her a dirty look.

"i'm trying to be a good student." max whispers to me with a matter-of-fact smile. "my mom says that i've been goofing around too much, and she thinks that you are the bad influence in my life."

my eyebrows shoot up as i laugh quietly at max's words. "i don't even influence you, you never even come to parties with me!" i whine, propping my chin up on my hand, as i squint at the board in front of us, on which our 70 year old bore of a teacher is printing out definitions.

"ok, el." max says, scooting her chair closer to me so we can talk without alerting the rest of the class. "think of it from my perspective. i either have the choice to go to some lame ass party with you, which usually is full of disgusting guys, or i could snuggle with lucas and watch mean girls as we eat candy. which is the better option?"

"i would still choose the partying option." i grumble, turning away from her.

max scoffs, sliding my notes out from under my hand and hastily starting to copy them down into her torn-up notebook. "i think you just don't want to admit to yourself that you're dying for a relationship."

"i am not!" i hiss defensively, snatching my notes back from max.

"you think i haven't seen your pinterest board full of aesthetic couples pictures?" max says, and i kick her leg in response, making sure to make it hurt.

"ow!" she whispers, aggressively pulling my notes back so she can finish illegibly writing them down so she looks like she pays attention at all in this class.

"i just like the idea of it." i say with a sigh. "the idea of a relationship sounds appealing, but the actual thing is too stressful. like what if the other person suddenly loses feelings for you, and you just look pathetic."

"hm, i guess that could be a problem." max says thoughtfully, looking down at her notes, which to be honest, look more like chicken scratch to me. "but i don't have to worry about that, lucas and i already planned our wedding."

i roll my eyes, but a smile takes over my face. no matter how much i make fun of max for it, i love her relationship and how happy lucas makes her.

"anyway," max says, raising her eyebrows at me. "i think i know where this conversation is going."

"hm?" i ask, frowning.

"when are you going to tell mike that you like him?" max exclaims a little too loudly and the two girls in front of us turn around, intrigued by max's words. after i shoot them a dirty look, they quickly avert their gaze.

i almost deny max's statement, but i know it wouldn't be truthful, so i just sigh and roll my eyes in response. "max, that would be so mortifying! he doesn't even like me back, and this crush will probably go away soon enough."

"that's literally exactly what he said!" max says, smiling widely. "you two are literally mentally connected! and el, he does like you! he told me himself."

i frown, shaking my head in disbelief. "he definitely does not. have you seen private school girls? insanely hot. he would never go for me when they exist."

max groans. "i literally would show you the texts where mike admitted that he likes you, but the bitch made me screen record myself deleting the entire conversation and then send it back to him. fucking annoying."

"hey!" i whisper, frowning. "only i'm allowed to call him fucking annoying."

"ooooh... protective are we?" max says, smiling mischievously.

"shut the fuck up." i grumble back, but i can't help but smile a little.

"so i'm confused." max says, flicking eraser shavings off of our desk. "are you two friends, or best friends, or like flirty friends, or like...."

"best friends?" i reply, scrunching my eyebrows together. mike and i had been non stop texting for the past month and made it a habit to facetime every night, so i would consider him one of my closest friends, even after such a short amount of time. "there isn't even any flirting at all. it's literally just me accidentally calling him hot or saying something embarrassing and him laughing at me for it."

max laughs, and opens her mouth to reply, but she's cut off as the classroom door swings open, revealing an unfamiliar boy.

he stands, leaning on the doorframe with his backpack draped over one shoulder, and he looks up at the class with hooded eyes. he's very tall, with curly, black hair, and even though his facial features are nothing like mike's, i can't help but think the two look similar.

"who is that?" max says, squinting at him in confusion.

i only shake my head in response and watch as our teacher calls him to the front of the class, her smile wide as she presents him to us.

"class, let's welcome our school's new transfer from maine, miles fairchild!"

✧ ゚・:*✧ ゚:*゚   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

hello!!!

this was supposed to be longer but i realized that the next part of this chapter is entirely too long for me to write tonight so i'm just gonna publish this haha

some problems are gonna start in next chapter...

ily! vote, comment, add to ur library!

<3 rose