thirty-one

"boyfriend and girlfriend, who would've known?"

✧ ゚・:*✧ ゚:*゚   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

"where are we going?" el asks in a soft voice, tilting her head upwards to look at me. i pull her body closer to mine, draping an arm across her shoulders and reaching my fingers to fiddle with the ends of her hair.

i give her a crooked smile, immensely thankful that her eyes are no longer puffy and ringed with red. when i watched her cry, i felt my body shut down, unsure of what to do when the one person that i looked to for support was breaking down before my eyes. i saw her body tremble as sobs spewed past her lips, saw tears flowing freely down her cheeks, despite her attempts to harshly wipe them off of her skin. i couldn't help but feel her pain being reflected in myself, my mind turning over with thoughts of what i could do to comfort her.

to my surprise, within moments of holding her in my arms, her rapid breathing gradually slowed into soft inhales and exhales. i could feel the tremors that once shook through her small frame come to a halt, resulting in us standing in a comfortable silence before her house.

i don't remember who pulled away first, or who took the first step, but in a matter of seconds we came to a unspoken mutual agreement, our feet carrying us away from the home and the ignorant parents inside of it.

now, in this moment, both of us are so immersed in the presence of the other that we don't even care to think about where we're headed.

i nuzzle my face into her hair as we take slow steps, the familiar scent of lavender and coconut wafting towards me from her locks.
i love how her hair smells.

"where do you want us to go?" i inquire, putting my face away slightly so i can look into her eyes, noticing a troubled gleam within them.

el moves her shoulders in a slight shrug, her eyes going hazy in thought as she stares off into the distance. "i don't think there's anything really that remarkable here." she whispers with a frown embedded between her eyebrows. our feet simultaneously come to a stop as i follow her gaze out to the bustling streets before us.

my eyes travel across the hurried individuals all around us, only able to get a fleeting glance at their faces before they disappear out of my view. i watch the traffic move, watch how people swerve to avoid the cars barreling towards them, watch how every human that jostles my shoulder carries an entirely different expression on their features. some curve their mouths into wide grins and allow laughs to burst past their lips. others have their head lowered and hands shoved into pockets, a frown pulling their brows together.
it's so strange, being surrounded by so many people with their own lives and destinations, and realizing the fact that i'll probably never see any of them again.

el seems unaffected, her eyes sweeping across the view tiredly, as if she's exhausted of the sight before us. "it's a little draining, you know." she speaks again, continuing her train of thought. she breaks her stare to offer me a tight smile. "this city, the chaos within it. i don't know, i just want some quiet sometimes."

"i think it's wonderful." i reply, surveying our surroundings one last time before meeting el's gaze and losing myself in those honey-brown orbs once more. "i don't go to cities a lot. it's pretty crazy to see all this in person."

el crinkles her nose, not in disgust, but more in an action of confusion. "can i show you something?" she asks, tightening her hold on my hand as she speaks.