Chapter 10

With those realizations she got ready for her date that night. She remembered the happiness she had the first time they'd been on a date together. The calmness he gave her. It was like it had al disappeared in one moment, Reality had set back.

Before she dropped Marlou of at her hotel she told her something that would probably stick by her the entire night. "You only realize how much you love someone when you've lost that person"  love? The words freaked her out. Did she even love her? What she meant was obvious though.

The outfit she wore was simple, not to much. Less is sometimes more, in this case it was. Her hair was in a low messy bun with a few loose strands of hair on the side. She looked hot!

She arrived at the restaurant right on time. Mason had just arrived too. "Hey hun" he gave her a kiss and Daan grabbed ahold of his hand. They walked in together and took place at their table.

Mason was such a gent. He would always open car doors for her, move the chair out from under her. All a girl could dream off.

"How did training go today hun?" She didn't answer she was zoned out. Counting the lights in the room. "Daan?!" He waved his hand in front of her. "Mm sorry what?" She finally looked at him. "No it's okay, i asked how your training went" Daan told him it went well, but she wasn't doing as good as she usually would around this time of the season.

The food arrived a few minutes later. They ate in silence. "What's wrong?" He could sense it from the moment the brunette grabbed ahold of his hand. It wasn't as firm as it used to be, it was okay. He knew her heart's desire.

*
He sat watching his girlfriend play with excitement. They were currently being held in a tie. Birmingham were doing all they could to score leaving their defense in a weak state.

Daan got the ball served from Lia wälti and made a run on the left flank towards the goal. She laid the ball of to Beth who passed it back once she was in front of goal.

The brunette ran up to her pulling her into a hug. All the girls joined in celebrating. After the celebrations were over And the teammates were spreading over the field she let go of the number 23.
*

That's when he knew. In the following weeks her name was never mentioned anymore. Daan would always talk about going out with her but that stopped two weeks into the relationship. He was the one that was holding her back from what she truly wanted.

"Nothing" she gave him a stern look.  "Danielle, don't lie to me please. You know i love you" she looked down playing with the last bit of food that was left on her plate. "I know"

She could see a sad look on his face before he continued talking. "Daan i love you, but you said it takes time for you. That's totally okay, I respect that! If you're heart is telling you; you should love someone else, I don't have the right too. You deserve to be with someone that will make you happy, someone who can be there for you. I can't do that, not in the way you want me to be."

She knew he was right. It was wrong. "I am sorry! It was wrong of me to continue this. I let you down, I shouldn't have led you on" he smiled. "Daan it's okay. I knew, you didn't yet." She nodded and got up to hug him.

"Piece of advice" she pulled back from the hug. "Mm?" She said. "Be honest with her yeah?" She gave him a firm nod and one last hug.

She headed to bed that night. She didn't really know how to feel. She felt sad. She had passed the blonde in the hallway and had given her the tinyst smile.

Training was scheduled at 10.00am. Daan was early, usually she'd arrive right on time. "What's got you out of bed this early huh??" Leah asked nudging her in the side. Daan shrugged and made her way inside.

There she was met by her Dutch teammate Sari. "Daantje!" Her voice was the loudest in the room making everyones eyes focus on the door. It was a known habit by the girls, Daan liked to jump on her like a little koala. "Wat is er? (What's wrong)" Viv and do were paying attention now too. Even Viv's girlfriend lisa, both of them had joined after the euro's.

"Mason en ik zijn uit elkaar, het is oke. Beter zo! )Mason and i broke up, it's fine. It's better this way)!"She told them. Lisa walked over and gave her a hug. "Ahw i'm sorry Daan, want us to cheer you up with a movie night?" The brunette laughed, lisa was such a heartwarming person. "No thnx, rain check though. Beloofd! (Promise)"

With the conversation being half Dutch and English their teammates looked at them with eye. It was a fascinating language. "Uh what's going on?" Jordan sounded worried, Daan gave Lisa a nod to say it. "Owh shit! Huh but weren't you on a date last night?" Katie asked. "Yeah we uhm, it was a mutual decision. Sort of" she shrugged her shoulders. "Mm let me guess you two fucked in the car after for the last time to put an end to the old friends with benefits deal too?" The irish woman stook out her tongue and laughed. "We did actually, gave him a blowjob too!" She winked at her leaving the dressing room.

All teammates were still sat there on the benches with a shocked looks on all of their faces of whah they thought was 'the truth'

Beth laughed and left the dressing room a little later. Daan noticed and lowered her pace. "Hey!" She said in a soft tone. "Hi" Beth said walking the rest of the way to the pitch in silence. Maybe things would be able to get back to normal again, that's what she hoped.

Hope you all enjoyed!! Sorry not sorry for the slowburn, wanted to try something new. How sweet is mason right??!