The plan

Private Nathaniel POV

We have been retreating for a week now. We had orders to destroy everything that we can't carry that is to be used by the enemy. The plus side is that there is no civilians in this battle so we can destroy everything and no one else has to suffer because of it. I was about to light the fuse for a bridge that separates the desert and our bases peninsula when an officer approached me.

???: Are you Private Nathaniel Banard?

Nathaniel: Yes sir.

Benedict: Good, my name is Major Benedict Hannibal Johnson, I am gathering volunteers for a very special task. Will you join my battalion?

Nathaniel: Yes sir!

Benedict: Good, now after you light the fuse, I need you to meet us at HQ at 1000 hours. Understood?

Nathaniel: Sir yes sir!

I waited until he left then I light the fuse. I quickly ran off the bridge and ducked down as the bridge turned into a smoldering ruin. I then quickly ran to HQ so I can be there in time.

1000 hours HQ

Third Person POV

Nathaniel was inside HQ just in time, he came in dirty, sweaty, and exhausted but he made it. He was greeted by Benedict and 30 other boys. They all sat down and started to listen to the task that Benedict proposed to them.

Benedict: As you all know we are digging new fortifications along the hills that separates our HQ and the enemy forces. We will be digging a very strong defensive position which as you all know is not my liking. So with approval of high command we will change our defenses into a grave yard. Does anyone know how?

No one raised their hand but so of the men begin imagining the carnage that could happen.

Benidict: Ok, the answer is a tunnel. According to our intelligence the enemy is bringing everything they have. This includes all the schools tanks and most of the Fed's commanders. They think that since there is no other outcrops of land they can't cover that they are safe. I beg to differ. We have hills but we also have thick vegetation. What i propose is we dig a tunnel under the defenses of the girls and when they set up all nice and cozy we create a new defensive line and we box them in, just like the Gauls did to the Romans during the Battle of Alesia, except this time we are more prepared. We have some of our artillery disassembled and ready to move so boys let's start digging!

The entire room applauded and they got their tools. As Benedict's men start digging the other Union commanders set up another operation of mass proportions.

Benjamin: This is Supreme Commander Benjamin Patton, Operation Fortitude is a go.

The Americans began making fake tanks and artillery to cover up the real ones and fake storage units that look like the mines that the boys start digging they also deceived there own men in making defenses further back as a type of fallback line. They did this while the men of the newly christened "Hannibal's legion" dug their way to the forest. They dug a tunnel large enough for 3 boys to stand shoulder to shoulder and tall enough to have a 6 foot person stand up straight with 2 inches of space. As they continue the other boys behind them clean up the tunnel and made it so that it is safe for even super heavy tanks can pass above.

 As they continue the other boys behind them clean up the tunnel and made it so that it is safe for even super heavy tanks can pass above