The last bridge

The last bridge.

Major Chris Chamberlain POV

We were getting the last of the trucks through when we got a message from our lookout Private O'Conner.

O'Conner: Federation forces, a lot of them coming here quickly!

Chris: Everyone, battle stations! We will hold the off until we can bow up the bridge!

We immediately set up position along a hill next to the bridge and started to rain hell on them. Our machine guns and anti tank guys were having a wet shooting gallery while our riflemen are just shooting into the mob of infantry that approaches us. They were about 50 yards from us when I got the all clear from the trucks. I looked at the distance and knew that there will be not enough time for us to get across the bridge before blowing it up, so I gave my command to the demolitions team.

Chris: Blow up the bridge now.

The demolitions team showed hesitation but then my second in command Lieutenant Paul "The Duke" Wellesey came up to me at asked for the phone. I nodded and gave him the phone

Paul: We need to blow up the bridge now. That fuse takes 50 second to reach the bombs so for all that you hold dear blow up that damn bridge.

Demolitionist 1: Yes, sir. Understood and good luck.

Following that the fuse was heard and the countdown began.

Chris: We need to hold them off for 50 seconds, come on men let's show these Fed's how we can fight!

Miho POV

We were charging and since we were in such a rush we couldn't even get into a proper formation. As we got into about 30 yards we heard the sound of a fuse lighting. We knew we were cutting it close then we saw them. 40 boys stood on a hill and started to throw everything they have at us as they did this some of them started to move down towards the entrance of the bridge and started to set up defenses. I knew that they were trying to stall us so I radioed my tanks to block their shots and push their lines back so that the engineers can start cutting the fuse. As the engineers start moving towards the bridge they are repeatedly shot by the defenses. Then I noticed the fuse was about to reach the bomb. Quickly I touched my throat mic.

Miho: Everyone clear from the bridge!

We all hit the deck and immediately after we heard a loud bang, the bomb has gone off however to our delight the bridge was still standing, barley. Then we saw the all 40 boys who were on top of the hill next to the bridge set up position separating us from the bridge. They were setting up another bomb to finish off the job. We couldn't let that happen.

Fed. Infantry Commander 1: Everyone, charge!!

Paul POV

Paul: Get that damn bomb online!

Private: Sir yes s-

The private drops to the ground holding his right shoulder, I quickly run up to him and pulled him to cover.

Paul: You stay here and provide cover fire for me.

Private: Yes sir.

I quickly made my way to the bomb and started to activate it. I put in the fuse and ran to the bridges last support beam all the while taser shots hit all around me, sometimes finding their mark but I ignored them. I placed the bomb on the support beam and pulled the fuse with me.

As I was making my way back my legs and waist was shot 3 times but the adrenaline rush I am experiencing made me not feel them. I dove into cover and waited for further commands.