Chapter 26: He Who Dwells

(Y/N) POV

(Y/N): "What do you want, Cole?"

I'm on the phone with Cole, who had the bright idea of calling me when I'm too tired to try and have a meaningful conversation.

Cole: "I wanted to ask you something. Have you seen any strange characters? People acting suspicious and wearing something like a parka or anything like that?"

(Y/N): "No, why?"

Then I hear Reggie's voice coming through the phone. This must be serious.

Reggie: "There have been reports of Some people fitting that description with powers that seem completely unnatural. Like they all have the exact same quirk."

(Y/N): "Okay, but why does some people with similar quirks prompt police investigation?"

Cole: "Someone was attacked by one of these guys. The victim reported that the attacker wore a large green coat, had what seemed like a trash bag filled with junk on his back, and had a quirk that allowed him to, and I quote, make large spiders out of junk and scrap. Sound like anything we know?"

(Y/N): "Wait a minute, that sounds like a dustman! One of Alden's guys!"

But that's impossible...Alden is dead. He jumped off the damn bridge, I saw it happen. There's no way someone that old could survive that fall.

Reggie: "There's more."

(Y/N): "What now?"

Reggie: "There was another victim in a different attack. Another seemingly unnatural quirk, this one being on command invisibility. The attacker was reportedly wearing a gas mask, a rubber insulated suit, and had a gas canister on his back that had a bunch of tubes connected to the gas mask."

Cole: "I'm pretty sure that's one of Kesslers henchman."

(Y/N): "Why would his henchmen come to Japan? Kessler is dead, so who would-? Wait..."

I forgot something about Alden. I had a fight with him once. Well, it wasn't really a fight as much as it was Me getting a hit on him before he tossed me into the bay. Anyway, I remember getting a surprise hit on him, A leaping punch to the temple with gloves that had metal strapped to the knuckles. I tested them out before, and they could punch through concrete if I really tried.

Alden was practically unaffected by a blow that would kill anyone else, hell I could've even killed Augustine if I had those gloves when I faced off with her. Unfortunately, they were lost when I was swimming to shore. If Alden could take that kinda hit no problem, that it's not a stretch to say he survived that fall from the bridge...

(Y/N): "Do you think Alden took over Kessler's operation?"

Cole: "Well, Kessler took over Alden's operation first, but yeah."

(Y/N): "But why would Alden be here in Japan? I still don't get it. Hell, even the dustmen are here, and they were just the homeless people and junkies in the Warren District."

Cole: "I don't know why they're here, but they're here. If two conduits are here. They'll probably be able to make more. Be careful."

(Y/N): "Alright. Thank you for telling me about this. I'm guessing this is a secret between us three and I shouldn't tell anyone else?"

Reggie: "Yeah. Well, us three and the police."

(Y/N): "Got it. I'll see you."

Cole: "Yeah, Bye."

Reggie: "See ya."

After they hang up, I start to try and remember how conduits are made. Hell, I'm pretty sure I have notes on this kinda thing, but I don't fuckin' know where they are.