²⁰ Accidents

Yeonjun locked the door to the car and ran towards the gathering group of people.

Ambulances and police cars aligned the street, a news broadcast van trying to make its way through.

Yeonjun secured his cap and face mask, just to be safe.

He could hear his heart beat in his chest as he edged closer to the accident.

The shattered glass, leaking gasoline, pieces of scrap metal littered the concrete.

Three cars, a bus, and a trailer truck.

"No one is permitted beyond this point, sir."
The officer stopped Yeonjun, who tried to run towards the broken down vehicles.

Yeonjun couldn't help but feel like it was his fault. That he couldn't protect you, out alone in a city you've grown distant from.

And yet, he wasn't even sure if you were here.

"Please I need-"

"I said no-"

"My girlfriend! Please I need to find her, I..I think she was on the bus."

girlfriend?

"Everyone involved in the accident has been transported to a hospital or are by the ambulances." Yeonjun quickly thanked the officer, jogging down the street to where he pointed.

He spotted you almost immediately; although your back was turned to him, facing an ambulance truck.

Hearing footsteps approach you, you slowly turn, but are engulfed by a surprise embrace.

The initial shock turned into ease when you recognized Yeonjun's frame, practically melting in his arms.

He cupped the back of your head, hunched over you as if to protect you from the world.

"Are you okay?" Yeonjun released you, still holding onto your shoulders.

He looked around your body, all the bruises and small cuts peaking from your torn sweatshirt.

You couldn't hold his gaze for long; your mind was inflating like an overfilled balloon, ready to burst at any moment.

"It's my fault.." Your voice barely came out as a whisper.

"No, no it's not. You couldn't control it-"

"Yes I could!" You raised your voice.

"I didn't have to be so selfish, I didn't have to go to JYPE today, I didn't have to keep it a secret, or be so reckless and take the bus.
Beomgyu said we could've just used a company car, but I was scared they wouldn't let us go so-"

"Beomgyu?" Yeonjun interrupted you mid-sentence, removing his hands from your shoulders.

You blinked your teary eyes and held your breath. Moving to the side, Beomgyu laid on a stretcher behind you as medics were preparing to transport him to the hospital.

Yeonjun's eyes went wide, full of emotions you couldn't yet pinpoint but could try: rage, devastation, betrayal.

He quickly moved from his spot to Beomgyu's side, you trailing behind him.

"He offered to come along with me.. as support. He tried protecting me during the crash, but I-.." Your words were lost as you felt your cheeks wet with tears.

Yeonjun felt helpless, all he could do was stare at his group member, his younger brother, lay barely conscious.

"Miss Choi? We need to transport you to the hospital for a check up as well." The medic calls out to you from the ambulance.

You simply nod, following her inside the truck as Yeonjun discusses with the other medics.

Beomgyu's eyes would open and close, the eerie sound of the monitor bringing back memories of your soul monitor.

The soul monitor that your tore off and left at home that morning.

Holding onto the frame of the stretcher, you hummed the song Beomgyu had been listening to earlier.

The medics return to the truck and start the engine.

Yeonjun soon ran across the street and out of your sight, without giving you a second glance.