f o u r t y o n e

"Does it taste good, Grandpa?" Jon wanted to know, before he drank from his campaign glass.

"Yes, that's how I know you didn't make it." He laughed, as he took another bite. "Good job, Lilith!"

Everyone seemed to enjoy today's dinner, they complemented me a lot and even asked for seconds.

"Are we going to sing before we open the presents?" Elijah grinned, making Caleb screw up his face.

"Do we have to?" Caleb sighed not very fond of us singing together.

"We have to." Jon nodded his head promptly.

"You're mother loved to sing Christmas songs together with your grandmother." Our father spoke to the boys, nostalgia filled his eyes as he thought about the good old days.

"Oh, they always enjoyed it very much." A small smile formed on the face of their grandfather, though he seemed on the edge of tears.

I tried to imagine the two woman I saw on the photos together in the living room, singing songs and having fun.

It made my heart ache, I didn't know them, but it filled me with sorrow to see my brothers with the thick sadness that overcame them.

"Eat up!" Victor called out with a loud voice. "They wouldn't be happy to see us so sad on such a day."

With this everyone concentrated themselves on eating a little faster.

When we all finished the twins and I cleaned up the dining room, while the others went into the living room, searching for karaoke versions of Christmas songs.

"Did you make desserts?" Xander whispered in my direction with a embarrassed look on his face.

"I backed some chocolate brownies and made pudding." I giggled about his childish behavior.

"We could eat it without telling the others?" Elijah wiggled with his eyebrows, shortly before we were done with cleaning up.

"No, after we open the presents we can eat the sweet stuff together." I scolded him, pulling my finger up and looking sternly at him.

"Aww, you look like a Cutiepie." Elijah took my cheeks in his hands and made me pout.

"Are you guys ready? We found some good songs!" Jon called us out of the living room.

Fast we arrived there, seating ourselves on the floor, because there wasnt much space for us on the couch.

Sitting down between the twins, I felt save after such a long time, slowly moving my head to the songs, we sang together and I felt weightless.

Although the anxious feeling inside of my heart grew, I felt happy.

My teethish smile as I sang together with my dear family was the result of the warmest feeling I ever experienced in my life.

"I will pass the next one, my voice gets tired." Their grandfather coughed after the fifth song.

"Maybe it is time to open the presents." Our father suggested, giving the boys a big smile. I noticed him eyeing at me, as I sat down on the place between Caleb and Jon, because Victor got up to hand out everyones gifts.