chapter two

The girls awoke at the cold night breeze that drifted into the house. "Lucy?" Rowyn questioned with a yawn and turned to see the young girl searching for her as well.

"What happened?" Lucy asked her but Rowyn had no response to give. "I-I should probably head home now."

A voice sounded from a few feet away. "It's too late for that now . . . I'm such a terrible fawn."

Rowyn stood up and walked over to him with Lucy right behind her. "I haven't had much experience with meeting fawns but I can say that you are a wonderful fawn." She reassuring him as he gripped the railing beside him harder.

"You cannot have done anything that bad." Lucy said, handing him a small white piece of cloth.

Tumnus dried his eyes. "It's not something I did . . . it's something I'm doing."

Rowyn grabbed Lucy's shoulder protectively and pulled the young girl back to her side. "What are you doing?"

Tumnus look up at them with watery eyes. "I'm kidnapping you." Lucy moved more into her side as they both walked backwards. "It's the White Witch—she's the one who makes it always winter, always cold—she gave orders that if any of us are to find a human wondering in the woods w-w-we're suppose to take them to her."

Lucy held Rowyn's arm as though if she let go she would blow away. "But Mr. Tumnus—you wouldn't . . . I thought you were my friend."

Tumnus looked up at them and swallowed hard. Suddenly, he was grabbing both of their hands and rushing them outside—back towards the lamp-post.

"She may already know that you're here!" Tumnus told the girl as he held their hands tightly and ran through the snowy woods. "The woods are full of her spies! Even some of the trees are on her side!" Rowyn's body shivered at the thought of so many spies watching their every move.

Once they arrived at the lamp-post, he turned to them. "Can you both find your way back from here?" He questioned.

Rowyn nodded and gave the fawn a tight hug. "Thank you, Tumnus—Thank you." He gave her a grateful smile and suddenly his eyes were tearing up again.

"You both have made me feel warmer than I have in a hundred years." He smiled at them and pulled them both into a tight hug. "Now go . . . go!" He said and pushed them forwards gently.

Lucy grabbed Rowyn's hand as they ran fast for the wardrobe. "Are you okay?" She asked Lucy.

"Yes, I'm alright." She told her as they both entered the wardrobe. As Rowyn felt the coats that resided in the wardrobe, she noticed that Lucy's hand had vanished from hers.

That Lucy herself had vanished.

"I'm back!" Rowyn shouted into the house after she fell out of it. "I'm okay!" She ran to her fathers who were still standing in Sam's office talking.

"Ro, are you okay?" Charlie asked, pulling away from the hug to examine her. It was then that Rowyn realized that the time of day hadn't changed—that her father's were still talking about why Charlie was let off early.

"B-But-" She began but Sam cut her off.

"Is that snow on your shoes?"

....

"And then he led her and I back to the wardrobe and saved us!" She told her fathers.

Sam and Charlie shared a glance. "You actually went to Narnia?" Sam asked.

Rowyn nodded. "How else would I get snow on my feet when it's spring!"

Sam was hastily writing down everything she said on his computer. "That is fascinating."